Hello from Gloucestershire

Hi

Retirement is good for me. Now, when people ask "What do you do?", my stock answer is "I play". :icon_wink:

I get up to all sorts of things. Walking, canoeing, golf, playing guitar (been doing that for over 50 years now), and for the last three years, making wooden pens and stuff on a lathe. Some of the "stuff" includes making a few shaving brushes. My favourite being an ivory substitute handled silvertip, which I use every day.
0675-brushst-ivoroid1-200.jpg

(I like "vase" shaped handles)

Making shaving brushes started with a birthday gift for my son, a brush with a Thuya Burl wood handle. That kind of got me going, and I threw away the aerosol can, made a brush for myself and started making my own creamy lather the proper way. (Erm.... just as I used to 50 years ago before aerosols were invented!). I had forgotten what a lovely ritualistic activity it was!

.... and now, I am pleased to find this place.

Rod

Hi and welcome ...

You should start making more brushes and sell them mate,

If it looks like the one in the pic I am sure it would get picked up immediately,..

shamreez said:
Hi and welcome ...

You should start making more brushes and sell them mate,

If it looks like the one in the pic I am sure it would get picked up immediately,..

I do sell the occasional one. I make wooden pens to supplement my pension, but 100% of the money from shaving brushes all goes to a project for kids that my wife and I have in Kenya. (Two brushes pay the fees for a teenager to go to secondary school for a year, including clothes, shoes and food!)
http://www.helpkenyakids.org

Two silvertip brushes I finished today. One in flamed poplar burl that was made to order, and another in burnt deer antler, just to see if I could do it! :blush:

0802-brush-poplarburl3-500.jpg
0802-brush-poplarburl2-500.jpg

0804-brush-antler1.jpg
0804-brush-antler2.jpg

0804-brush-antler7.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Cheers
Rod

Back
Top Bottom