Hello from Mid Wales

cheese_dave said:
Hi there impster... or should I say, imposter???? No? Oh. Well, hello there.

Hi cheesey ! Just running through the posts-like you do, and couldn't fail to notive this gentleman's Avatar. What do you reckon to it ? Good eh?

Oh, a belated welcome to you impster, I wish you well!

spandex.. :)

My first car was a 1972 Hillman Imp. PEH 802L. Bought it off my cousin for 200 quid. Learned to drive and passed my test in it, so none of this dual control stuff for me! A mate of my Dad, who was a qualified instructor used to take me out on a Sunday morning. It almost caught fire one morning, so we were forced to return home.

I ended up scrapping it.

Ian

cheese_dave said:
I used to own a Singer Chamois myself, which was a Hillman Imp with knobs on.

..Yeah, I know only too well ! The first 4 years of my working life, (from 1960 to 1964), were spent in the Pre-delivery bay, and the Parts dept. at Cathedral Garage, Bristol. The west country's largest Rootes group Main dealer at the time. So I was around Humber's, Singer's, Hillman's and Austin Healey sports cars all of the time for 4 yrs.! ..An iteresting period of my life. :)

spandex..

Thanks for the welcomes gents! nearly 6 months now and still using the Merkur. I've used the electric shaver once in a while (usually when I've slept late and no time for a proper shave...), but it's the Merkur that's king.

Someone mentioned the avatar - well that's my old 1974 Hillman Imp rally car. Now virtually rusted away following a bit of a 'moment' during a bit of 'testing'... I've had lots of imps, of the plain Hillman, posh Singer, and sporty Sunbeam varieties. I've even had the Commer Imp Van at one stage. Cracking cars, and much much better than minis (even mini owners realise that deep down...).

Anyway, 5 months on and my original stash of blades is down to around 15, including some Derbys which I hadn't yet tried. Of the sealed pack of 5 blades, the remaining 4 will find another home I think (i used a Derby earlier - never again I'm afraid).

Postman is due to bring me a supply of iridium supers, and 10 feathers to try tomorrow hopefully.

I've also managed to hold off any heavy spending - the kit consists of the Merkur 38c, Palmolive cream, a boots shave stick, alum block, styptic pencil, and some after shave. I'm more than happy with that lot, does the job fine for me. I have however, bagged myself a Rolls Razor - not sure why I pulled the trigger on it, it's more of a curiosity, gadgety based thing I think. If it's viable I'll give it a go, if not, I'll clean it up and pass it on.

Anyway, just a quick generic 'thanks' for all contributors to this site. I've learned a heck of a lot here, and yes, shaving has now become a 'pleasure' as opposed to a 'nuisance'.

Nice one.

Impster

Back
Top Bottom