Hello to you all.

Hello everyone.

Like so many others I got fed up paying lots of money for a barely adequate shave that was so uncomfortable that I'd shave on a Monday morning and not bother again until the next Monday!

I had been using the usual gels in a can, which combined with an ancient Boots synthetic brush actually produced a half decent lather but the only way to get a truly 'close-ish' shave was to go AGT with a cartridge with the inevitable rash and irritation.

I improved on that by ditching the gel and going with an Erasmic stick (all of 49p from Home Bargains). I think working up a lather on the face over a couple of minutes helped soften the skin and lift the bristles more than just the few seconds it took to lather a gel and I actually got better shaves with less rash, even with the cartridge.

I watched a couple of Mantic's videos and decided that I would spend a little more. I got a Wilkinson Sword Classic with 5 blades for under a fiver on Amazon. What a revelation! I could do multiple passes, get a much closer shave and not have any burn at all.

Fast forward a couple of months and I've now invested in a Merkur 34c and a Parker 99r. I'm using a mix of Merkur, Wilkinson and Feather blades (the latter not nearly as fearsome as I thought) and I'm awaiting some Personna Med Preps. I've got creams by Proraso, Palmolive and Erasmic and I've just bought one of Fido's brushes, a 2213; the difference between that and my old Boots synthetic is like that between a good Stilton and the 'cheese food' slices that lurk on the top of a burger.

I'm probably not (no, I'm definitely not!) saving any money but shaving is no longer a chore, in fact it injects a little luxurious me time into every morning. A hot flannel, work up a lather on the face, a 4 pass shave and I'm ready to go. BBS and no rashes, bumps or irritation. The occasional nick but that's easily sorted with a styptic pencil.

A hobby to indulge in every day.

Welcome aboard. This is really a good place to come to to save money! You'll learn what to buy and what not to buy, by just reading from experiences.

Hello and welcome to TSR :icon_smile:.

I have some of the personna med prep blades, they are one of my favourites, smooth and sharp!

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi and welcome to TSR! :D Yes, it's cheaper with DE:s, but with a straight you'll never have to buy another razor blade... think about it! No more razor blades ... :D

chrisbell said:
Mikael said:
Hi and welcome to TSR! :D Yes, it's cheaper with DE:s, but with a straight you'll never have to buy another razor blade... think about it! No more razor blades ... :D

...replaced by hones, strops, lapping stones...:icon_razz:

Yes ... but no more razor blades :D I'm just trying to "save" our new mate some money :icon_lol:

Back
Top Bottom