Hendersons

Garbe said:
AGIO said:
Tall_Paul said:
The internet might be a better bet, Tony.

It's available in very few areas outside South Yorkshire despite having been manufactured for over 100 years. For some reason the owners have never been bothered about expanding.

The last time I was in Sheffield I went into Tesco to stock up. There was a full shelf of Worcester sauce next to a shelf containing about 5 bottles of Hendersons!
went shopping in castle market this morning hendo's £1.39 a bottle :)

That brings back memories, not least the one where my mum lost me in there at 4

I think my mum lost me in there as well when I was little
I pop in once a week for my meat/fish, its still busy its a shame its closing this year :s

I love a drop of Henderson's. Discovered it whilst I was working in Chesterfield and made sure I picked up a couple of bottles before I moved on. Sadly I'm coming to the end of bottle number two now.

jds said:
I love a drop of Henderson's. Discovered it whilst I was working in Chesterfield and made sure I picked up a couple of bottles before I moved on. Sadly I'm coming to the end of bottle number two now.

You can order it online from hendersons the minimum order is £13

antdad said:
No fish juice, what's in it then?

water
spirit vinegar
sugar
caramel
syrup
salt
tamarinds
acetic acid
cayenne pepper
cloves
saccharin
garlic oil
tragacanth and isopropyl
alcohol

chrisbell said:
Isopropyl alcohol? Mildly toxic, and not something I'd want to consume on a regular basis, even in tiny amounts.

I think you'd be safe, Chris. To the best of my knowledge no-one has ever died of 'Hendersons poisoning'. ;)

I do agree with you about consuming toxic substances, but the modern diet includes so many (for example, acrylamide, aspartame, hydrogenated and trans fat, and even the glut of sodium chloride most people consume) it's almost impossible to cut them all out.

Tall_Paul said:
chrisbell said:
Isopropyl alcohol? Mildly toxic, and not something I'd want to consume on a regular basis, even in tiny amounts.

I think you'd be safe, Chris. To the best of my knowledge no-one has ever died of 'Hendersons poisoning'. ;)

I do agree with you about consuming toxic substances, but the modern diet includes so many (for example, acrylamide, aspartame, hydrogenated and trans fat, and even the glut of sodium chloride most people consume) it's almost impossible to cut them all out.

True - when I consider how neurotic I was in the lab handling acrylamide, and was then consuming it in food anyway...:icon_rolleyes::s

Tall_Paul said:
chrisbell said:

Hendersons poisoning:icon_cry2: no wonder the life expectancy in sheffield is so low ;)

AGIO said:
Hendersons poisoning:icon_cry2: no wonder the life expectancy in sheffield is so low ;)

My Grandma used to tell me that, when she was young, they used to refer to Sheffield as a dirty picture in a golden frame.

With that, and the Hendersons, we're buggered!

Tall_Paul said:
AGIO said:

My Grandma used to tell me that, when she was young, they used to refer to Sheffield as a dirty picture in a golden frame.

With that, and the Hendersons, we're buggered!
Its a good job they stopped brewing wards as well then !
monday morning at work you could tell/smell who'd been supping wards sunday night :)

I was at Hallam Uni when they had the building behind the Wards brewery. You could always tell when they were brewing!

The strange thing is, if it was kept well it was a lovely pint. Gone forever now. :(

Tall_Paul said:
I was at Hallam Uni when they had the building behind the Wards brewery. You could always tell when they were brewing!

The strange thing is, if it was kept well it was a lovely pint. Gone forever now. :(

Its a real shame :-/ wards was a great pint, the roebuck tavern, whig and pen and red lion in town kept it well, down attercliffe the excelsior and wentworth arms, happy days :)

Back
Top Bottom