Here I am enabling again £40 FatBoy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-GILLETTE-FATBOY-RAZOR-F2-1960-FREE-P-P-/181396697732?pt=UK_Collectables_Barber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item2a3c15f284
Let us know, whosoever bites.

Muhaha...

Can I ask a quick question? I fancy an adjustable and apart from Merkur there is nothing new for sale so I am on the lookout for unused Slims or Fat boys, I see a NOS Black slim on ebay at the mom but I have to understand first what are the differences between the vintage and the Progress/Future etc'

Shemen Zait said:
Can I ask a quick question? I fancy an adjustable and apart from Merkur there is nothing new for sale so I am on the lookout for unused Slims or Fat boys, I see a NOS Black slim on ebay at the mom but I have to understand first what are the differences between the vintage and the Progress/Future etc'
The Gillettes all have nine clicks on the scale.
The modern Merkurs have a dial which does not click, hence you no longer have 9 settings but any number of settings between as aggressive as they come to as mild as Merkur can muster, therefore on the scale you could set it to 1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75, 2.0 and so on.

The Gillettes are all considered to be mild on the scale of aggressiveness, whereas the Futur is absurdly aggressive, IMO.
I find the Merkur Vision and the Progress go down to about the level of a 6 on a Gillette Fat Boy, set to minimum.

I love the Gillette Adjustables but use Merkurs myself.

That's all a bit waffly-
To surmise - Merkur adjustables start at a more aggressive blade gap / exposure than Gillettes, have a greater potential for settings and can be ramped up to very aggressives shavers.
Gilettes on the other hand have 9 settings and are relatively mild (the setting 1 is mild and 9 is medium / aggressive).

Shemen Zait said:

Hi there,

If I was looking for a new adjustable, the choice would be a Progress or one of the custom variations. I wouldn't try to find a NOS Slim or Fatboy, mainly because they would sell for crazy money. We are talking 100s of dollars for cased ones, except maybe for a late model Super Adjustable in a blister pack. That mighta been what you saw.

You can't always go by how aggressive a razor is, when it comes to choosing one based on that. Things like weight and balance can make somewhat of a difference in how it performs, but the main thing is how the head is designed. A Gillette head will shave a bit differently than the Merkur, and everyone has their own druthers. I have used razors that didn't have all that much bite, but I still hadda be more careful than usual. Some of em I just flat out didn't care for the way they felt in my hand.

You really need to try a few razors and see what's the best fit. There's pass arounds for both the Fatboy and Digress that you can join in.

If you decide on a vintage Gillette, most likely you will have to settle for one in mint condition, but maybe not with a mint case or instructions or the original blades.

Hope some of this helps,

Martin

Wha burst the ba said:
Shemen Zait said:
Thanx look like Progress is on the cards, £32 here we come.

I couldn't resist.

Hah, you got potential! See if that sets the hook. It's what I'd get for myself.......sheesh.

Thanks Martin, the reason I was referring to NOS is my fussiness about using used razors, this is also why I don't participate in pass around. I can afford the short Progress but not much more than that. It's look like a Progress is what I am attracting to with a good mix of strong cutting power and not too mild.

Shemen Zait said:
Thanks Martin, the reason I was referring to NOS is my fussiness about using used razors, . It's look like a Progress is what I am attracting to with a good mix of strong cutting power and not too mild.

Good choice. Yeah, I could see you were tending towards something brand new and the Progress is a nice razor.

Martin

Re: RE: Here I am enabling again £40 FatBoy

dodgy said:
Shemen Zait said:
Thanks Martin, the reason I was referring to NOS is my fussiness about using used razors, . It's look like a Progress is what I am attracting to with a good mix of strong cutting power and not too mild.

Good choice. Yeah, I could see you were tending towards something brand new and the Progress is a nice razor.

Martin

Thank you for the advice, I pulled the trigger on a short Progress from SafetyRazors, at £32 this look like a reasonable progression from the Pearl OC and the other few very mild shavers in my box. Couldn't see the point of paying almost three time more for what is essentially a small brass knob on the Digress.

Update, used the Progress with a Derby blade today and this is it! The end of the road for the mild RAD.

Back
Top Bottom