Hi Everyone!

I've used DE razors for a few years, with a very simple setup: Butterfly from Executive Shaving, Arko stick direct on my face... Then the razor decided to start losing it's plating on the handle after a year or so... So I looked to upgrade it to a SS one....
That lead me to Razor Emporium YT channel, and me buying a Rex Ambassador -- and an Outlaw... So far so good right?

But, on that channel, they also had videos about using a straight razor, so me, being curious, bought one 'shave ready' old Sheffield off eBay. That was early July... And now I got a whole *ton* of them, because well, I need to know what I *really* like don't I? Also being a tinkerer, I bought some to restore, and put them in rotation as well. And I got a couple 'customs' on order; one from Yurii, and one from Drew Dick (whose workshop is 15 minutes from me!)

Anyway, long story short, I'm now hooked to straight razors, which also lead to build up a collection of soaps obviously!
Mii3Rr9.jpg

I've used DE razors for a few years, with a very simple setup: Butterfly from Executive Shaving, Arko stick direct on my face... Then the razor decided to start losing it's plating on the handle after a year or so... So I looked to upgrade it to a SS one....
That lead me to Razor Emporium YT channel, and me buying a Rex Ambassador -- and an Outlaw... So far so good right?

But, on that channel, they also had videos about using a straight razor, so me, being curious, bought one 'shave ready' old Sheffield off eBay. That was early July... And now I got a whole *ton* of them, because well, I need to know what I *really* like don't I? Also being a tinkerer, I bought some to restore, and put them in rotation as well. And I got a couple 'customs' on order; one from Yurii, and one from Drew Dick (whose workshop is 15 minutes from me!)

Anyway, long story short, I'm now hooked to straight razors, which also lead to build up a collection of soaps obviously!
Mii3Rr9.jpg
What is the blue custom looking razor?

It's a custom E.Brice razor (#38) I bought it the previous owner, who can't use it anymore as he is on blood thinner! It's quite fancy, with Sapphire embedded in the spine. 7/8", 1/2 - Gives a nice shave, I like 'smiling' blades and this one is just the ticket.

gBTQsfq.jpg
Ah yes very nice! Thought I recognised it, think I saw it on ebay a while back

Ah yes very nice! Thought I recognised it, think I saw it on ebay a while back
It was! TBH I made a very cheeky offer on it, because well, I didn't need it at all! The nice chap very surprisingly accepted it...

Therefore, after a small discussion, I promised him that if ever he'd get off his medicine, I would sell it back to him for the same price.

The only thing with this razor is that it is not very comfortable to strop. the shape of the shoulder is just, odd, it doesn't 'flip' easily in the hand. But hey, it's very pretty, so one can soldier on :)

Very very cool! Not just the collection, but also the offer to sell it back to the guy, given the circumstances. Great to have you on board, except now I'm having razor envy, with a mere 5 or so straights to my name, none of which is a Drew Dick...!

I'm now quite chummy with Drew, he is a great guy really. Went to his forge a couple of times and made a small photo shoot... The 8/8 I have from him is currently on loan (back to him!) for a display -- but he's making another one for me at the minute.

That 'purplewood' razor is just amazing, it 'sings' like a much smaller razor and it's so easy to use, despite it being so large. I was a bit scared of the pointy end to start with, but now I like it :)

lzaAXmE.jpg

The pride of my collection and pointiest is the Koraat 14/2.0 Square point bellied hollow which I obtained from Blademonkey in the BST section. It's a beaut and shaves beautifully but I did once open my cheek up with the toe in a moment of carelessness. No harm done, but my nickname is now Al Capone...

I know some folk mute the tips but I can't bring myself to do it, so I keep it sharp all the full length, adds to the fun anyway.

The pride of my collection and pointiest is the Koraat 14/2.0 Square point bellied hollow which I obtained from Blademonkey in the BST section. It's a beaut and shaves beautifully but I did once open my cheek up with the toe in a moment of carelessness. No harm done, but my nickname is now Al Capone...
I had a close look at Koraat's -- I even 'specced' a razor -- but I think that for now, I'll stick with Yurii and Drew. I got an ART razor that is almost finished (custom!) and well, Drew is expensive but having had a few in hand I know why so ultimately I'll probably save my money and order from him!

Overall I feel lucky to have so many options -- why would I buy a ~250GBP factory made razor when you can get a completely custom made one, to your spec, for just a little bit more?

Mii3Rr9.jpg
What a great collection of beautiful razors!

Welcome to TSR!

Mii3Rr9.jpg
Well obviously, hello and welcome to TSR :)

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom