Hobgoblin

Professor Blighty said:
Had a pint of this last night, really liked it. I prefer darker more stouty beers, and this is a winner. Anyone tried it?

Yeah, it's very drinkable. It's a good one to stock up on around Halloween as the supermarkets have silly offers on it. Much nicer on draft though.

I had a few too many pints of this on Friday night, first time I'd tried it but it was perfect for a nice spring night.

5.jpg

Style: A wheat beer very much in the modern English style – served bright and top fermented. The recipe uses a small amount of fresh lemon to compliment the citrussy flavours produced by the wheat malt. Each of the Hops used, Goldings, Saaz and Cascade add fresh lemony flavours to the brew.

Yellow Jim said:
Professor Blighty said:
Had a pint of this last night, really liked it. I prefer darker more stouty beers, and this is a winner. Anyone tried it?

Yeah, it's very drinkable. It's a good one to stock up on around Halloween as the supermarkets have silly offers on it. Much nicer on draft though.

I had a few too many pints of this on Friday night, first time I'd tried it but it was perfect for a nice spring night.

5.jpg

Style: A wheat beer very much in the modern English style – served bright and top fermented. The recipe uses a small amount of fresh lemon to compliment the citrussy flavours produced by the wheat malt. Each of the Hops used, Goldings, Saaz and Cascade add fresh lemony flavours to the brew.

That Lemon Dream sounds really nice, especially on a nice warm day like today......nice if available bottled as Shropshire is a bit far to travel for a pint.....

Professor Blighty said:

I could have posted the same thing - almost word for word ... 'cept I had my first pint of it a couple of months ago.

Nice stuff.

Hobgoblin's been around for decades, a pub on "the circuit" when I was in my early 20's was owned by Wychwood Brewery I was always quite fond of a pint of Hobgoblin, but they did a nice stout too which is what I tended to drink.

My most enduring memory of it was one cold night I was out with the lads one of whom wanted Carlsberg with a top, but the bloke buying refused to get him a girls drink and bought him a pint of Hobgoblin. The Carlsberg drinker, also called Nick, refused it so the chap that bought it downed it in one before we left the pub and said "Nick, the problem with you is you can't handle a man's drink" then took 2 steps into the cold night air and threw up, class!

Hobgoblin's a great beer. I'd only every had the bottled stuff until I spent a holiday in a cottage on a farm near Stanton Drew in Somerset. One of the nearby pubs (The Halfway House, on the main road to Bristol) had it on tap. Needless to say it became my 'local' for the rest of my holiday :)

one of my favourites.
If you like dark strong beers, then you should try some other easily available farorites of mine too, such as Brakspear Triple and Adnams Broadside - is it wrong to want a beer now already?!

Broadside is a meaty pint. I tend to go for more hoppy ales, had a couple of Oakham JHBs yesterday perfect for a warm day.

My favourite strong dark ale is Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild but thats about 6 % so you have to be careful, especially as its very quaffable.

One of my favourite beers!

If you like that also try Bishops Finger (AKA Nuns Delight) by Shepherds Neame. They also do Spitfire (which is a nice 'session beer', not too high in alcohol).

Although not a member of CAMRA, I love a good real ale. Plenty of cracking small breweries down here in Devon (and around the country for that matter).

Back
Top Bottom