Holiday shaving? - Warning Mach 3 content!

I have a couple of holidays on the horizon, one in an appartment in April and then a camping trip in June ( Le Mans ).

Now, I dont shave at Le Mans as I tend to go back to a primeval state so no advice required there :mrgreen: . However, I am off for a short getaway and staying in an appartment in Portugal. Am I mad to concider taking my old Mach 3 instead of my DE? I expect to get shot down for suggesting this but I am thinking of ease. Dont get me wrong I love my me time at home, but I set aside 30 mins for a shower and shave. I realise it is only 10-15 mins out of my day but I am going with quite a few people and I can foresee time may be of the essence if we go out at night or we want to make an early start. I dont want to be labelled a Judas, but do any of you guys stray form the DE path occaisionally?

Feel free to slap some sense into me! :lol:

For the record, I tried shaving with the Mach 3 the other day, my face felt smooth enough, but then I had a couple of passes with the futur straight after and got a satisfactory "noise" from it! :mrgreen:

Use whatever is most convenient for you. Sometimes I use a Contour while traveling.

Just remember to bring a large bag and fill it with lots of shaving creams before going back home :D.

Ids said:
Nothing wrong with any cartridge razor, except cost of course!

I still have 9 fresh blades, I bought 10 just before I took the plunge into DE. I used one when I started out just to tidy up a few times but I reckon theres still at least one decent shave left in it.

brg said:
Use whatever is most convenient for you. Sometimes I use a Contour while traveling.

Just remember to bring a large bag and fill it with lots of shaving creams before going back home :D.

So I am not going to get banned from here for the very suggestion then? Phew! :mrgreen:

I read a thread the other day about Portugese creams, so a shopping list has been made! :D

At home I use a Gillette Sensor occasionally. Maybe once every 2 weeks or so, tends to be when I'm in a rush and late for work, then I have to resort to it.... it's not worth mashing your face up when you're late for work. No-one will ever attack you for using cartridges here... some members use them all the time, only using DE style prep to make the whole process a bit nicer.

Would I travel with one? No. I travel with a cream, a Merkur HD, and a travel brush. Takes up no more room than a cartridge plus can of foam. You can always allow ten minutes for a decent shave, no matter where you are.

But should you feel bad for going to cartridges for a week? Hell no! We all need to cartridge sometimes. :|

I shall see how my technique progresses over the next month or two, I really would like to take the merk but I am still trying to find my "grail" blade, so I guess its not worth the risk of putting my face through the mill ( would only want to take one pack of blades ) for the sake of 5 shaves.

Thanks guys.

Canuck said:
But should you feel bad for going to cartridges for a week? Hell no! We all need to cartridge sometimes. :|

All??? I have not gone back to the dark side since I started (or should that be re-started?) DE shaving.

I'd be tempted to get out of my fleapit 10 minutes earlier...hell man, think of your reputation.

That said if a cartridge suits, use it. DE shaving isn't altogether compulsory, simply preferable.

;)

Blyth Spirit said:
All??? I have not gone back to the dark side since I started (or should that be re-started?) DE shaving.

I'd be tempted to get out of my fleapit 10 minutes earlier...hell man, think of your reputation.

Thats more like the reply I was expecting! :lol:

Still undecided though! Probably fore go my reputation for a few days and hope nobody notices! :mrgreen:

i work offshore and what i did was buy a bigger washbag to fit all my kit in.

Plus the water offshore is not the best but since DE shaving even offshore my skin is a lot better

Jonboy
Don't forget the tax free watches!!
Take nothing. Sourcenew kit when you get there then enjoy using it!
Then you will have kit with happy memories attached!!
Simples.
Tim.
Ps Any news on Sheffield visit?

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't take much longer to shave with a DE than a cartridge razor, maybe a few minutes extra. If it's a better experience for you and results in a more comfortable shave then make the rest of them wait. ;)

Slick said:
Jonboy
Don't forget the tax free watches!!
Take nothing. Sourcenew kit when you get there then enjoy using it!
Then you will have kit with happy memories attached!!
Simples.
Tim.
Ps Any news on Sheffield visit?

You are determined to have me empty my bank account by the end of the year aren't you? :lol:

I will be sourcing lots of soap/creams, as for the free watches.... Are they tax free in Portugal?.... hmmmmmmm :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom