Home Made Soap - cast your vote!

trench said:
I feel like we are getting there. The soap in itself seems to be pretty much bang on in my opinion. What do you think?

I agree with that bit, the shaving performance was spot on in my opinion.
I would also like to see an unscented version. That one may suit Dave better.

Uncle Bertie said:
I added about a teaspoon of warm water to the bowl I had broken the cake into and circled my dry synthetic brush for about 30 seconds. Face lathering was straightforward I added plenty more water to the brush and got a stable lather.

Did you like the dry brush technique?

I must admit I haven't face lathered using this method as I like to add the extra water to the lathering bowl.
I've got another two synthetics arriving soon. Must be getting addicted.

Electrif said:
trench said:
I feel like we are getting there. The soap in itself seems to be pretty much bang on in my opinion. What do you think?

I agree with that bit, the shaving performance was spot on in my opinion.
I would also like to see an unscented version. That one may suit Dave better.

Uncle Bertie said:
I added about a teaspoon of warm water to the bowl I had broken the cake into and circled my dry synthetic brush for about 30 seconds. Face lathering was straightforward I added plenty more water to the brush and got a stable lather.

Did you like the dry brush technique?

I must admit I haven't face lathered using this method as I like to add the extra water to the lathering bowl.
I've got another two synthetics arriving soon. Must be getting addicted.

That is a good point - might be better for Dave.

I have heard a lot about these synthetic brushes - are they really as good as I've heard?

Unscented would be worth trying to see what happens but James it's costing you postage for these soaps and I feel a little guilty not being able to use them. So please feel free to remove me from your group of testers.
Everyone else is having more success with them, which I'm really pleased about.
Regards,
Dave.

trench said:
Thanks guys.

Think we are just waiting on Samurai Jack now.

I'm on grave yard shift and tomorrow when these 3 days whiskers will be tested, got the sample and first impression on scent, i really like it.

Second shave this morning with the Bay Rum. This is really good soap. Great for face lathering. I tried bowl lathering and that produced the same sort of lather.

I'll try blending in some Bay Rum edt into the soap to tweak the scent.

My second shave with the Bay Rum this morning again gave me good results. This time I face lathered and I concur with UB.
I used my Kent Infinity, a new wilkie blade in a 37c slant. I'm still very impressed with the slickness of this soap.

shave 3 - face lathered with a kabuki brush - made the lather thinner this time. another great shave, leaves the face very slick post shave - i often splash my face with water and do a final pass with the 'slick' and this soap enables a good final polishing pass.

This is a really good soap. My skin feels really good after the shave with zero irritation. Thanks for letting me try this out.

Bay Rum Soap

I got the soap a few days ago and the bay rum sent is strong and sweet which is good as I like a strong scent.

The soap is soft and easy to mould into a suitable container of choice.
I put a little bit of water and left it for a few minutes then lathered up (face lather)
The bay rum scent is strong then fades away quickly for me, I wanted it to last a bit more longer but it is a good scent, the lather was thick and slick, the first and second pass had taken all the whiskers off, but the 3rd pass was the most enjoyable due to the 1st and 2nd passes where because of the slickness I had gone WTG and XTG, the 3rd pass felt like the Cobra gliding on ice, I finished the shave and left it to dry and also to see if there were any after effects, the skin did tighten up a bit but there was no irritation at all, but I did miss the lingering of the bay rum.

This is a really good soap, easy to lather and has a lot of slick and I had no irritation from using it, throughout the shave the lather did not completely dry out which for me is very good, unlike other soaps that I have.

Overall I really enjoyed the shave this evening with it and the only thing I would say is that the scent for me needs to last a bit longer, maybe needs more bay, also when the bay rum scent fades, for me it is replaced by another which is hard for me to explain and not bad at all, if I had a choice of word to explain I would say ‘clean' if that makes sense.

Thank you Jamie for the sample and an excellent soap it is, well done.

I'm very jealous of you lot, getting to try this. I'm still off work, hoping to be back tomorrow so I can pick it up. I might even try shaving today, though I'm getting dizzy when I stand up & walk about. Maybe not the best idea.

On the subject of postage for James, I'd be happy to put in a few quid to help cover the cost.

Back
Top Bottom