Home Made Soap - cast your vote!

I'm not sure the flash point is all important; I think that is just the temp at which the essential/fragrance oil would literally ignite? Even a concentrated perfume will evaporate gradually at skin temp - say 33C. I presume any temp higher then that will accelerate the process.
I got this definition of flash point from a soapy site

'Every flammable liquid has a vapor pressure, which is a function of that liquid's temperature. As the temperature increases, the vapor pressure increases. As the vapor pressure increases, the concentration of evaporated flammable liquid in the air increases. Hence it is the temperature which determines the concentration of evaporated flammable liquid in the air under equilibrium conditions. Different flammable liquids require different concentrations of the fuel to be present in the air to sustain combustion. The flash point is that minimum temperature at which there is enough evaporated fuel in the air to start combustion.

The fire point of a liquid is the temperature at which it will continue to burn after ignition for at least 5 seconds. At the flash point, a lower temperature, a substance will ignite, but vapor might not be produced at a rate to sustain the fire. '

soapalchemist said:
I'm not sure the flash point is all important; I think that is just the temp at which the essential/fragrance oil would literally ignite? Even a concentrated perfume will evaporate gradually at skin temp - say 33C. I presume any temp higher then that will accelerate the process.
I got this definition of flash point from a soapy site

'Every flammable liquid has a vapor pressure, which is a function of that liquid's temperature. As the temperature increases, the vapor pressure increases. As the vapor pressure increases, the concentration of evaporated flammable liquid in the air increases. Hence it is the temperature which determines the concentration of evaporated flammable liquid in the air under equilibrium conditions. Different flammable liquids require different concentrations of the fuel to be present in the air to sustain combustion. The flash point is that minimum temperature at which there is enough evaporated fuel in the air to start combustion.

The fire point of a liquid is the temperature at which it will continue to burn after ignition for at least 5 seconds. At the flash point, a lower temperature, a substance will ignite, but vapor might not be produced at a rate to sustain the fire. '

Sharon,
I bow to your greater soap making wisdom!

It gets confusing, as a lot of what you find on the internet implies that all you need to do is ensure that your temps are below flash point. But that is not the case when it comes to losing much of the scent; which is why the window between adding the scent and getting the soap into the mould is so short. Probably you can go higher with FO rather than most EOs, as FOs tend to be much stronger.

That is really interesting.

I'm having problems with the milling right now, the tooling isn't coping as well as I had hoped.

Have a few ideas so hopefully I will have sorted it by tomorrow

Mine was waiting on my desk yesterday. I kept getting a whiff of the scent through the day & thought it was quite nice. Even while using it this morning, I didn't really notice the underlying scent that I'd picked up before.

As with the other soaps, performance was excellent. The scent wasn't overpowering in use, but I could still pick it up. Overall, it's an excellent soap. I was just a bit disappointed that I had to mangle the OSP stamp so I could squeeze it into a circular tub! It looked really nice in its piece of paper.

OK gents,

Its time for the next soap sample, without lanolin.

We will strictly limit this one to the first ten to reply on there that they are interested.

Usual rules apply - tallow soap, review needed, etc.

Who is in?

Last edited:
We have so far
  1. Braveblades
  2. Electrif
  3. Uncle Bertie
  4. MrK1
  5. mikebrownington
  6. ScubeSteve
  7. celtic67
  8. Bechet
  9. whoisthedaddy