Homemade Witch Hazel Recipe

I have been using my own witch hazel recipe for a few years which consists of Care+ distilled witch hazel, glycerin and some essential oils such as lavender, peppermint and tea tree mixed into a 100ml bottle with atomiser. I have thought of adding some Aloe Vera Gel into the mix as it’s supposedly very good for the skin. I’ve never used it before but was wondering if it would be too thick to go through the atomiser once mixed in with the other ingredients? It’s no big deal if it doesn’t but I do prefer the ability to control the amount that comes out if possible.

Last edited:
I have been using my own witch hazel recipe for a few years which consists of Care+ distilled witch hazel, glycerin and some essential oils such as lavender, peppermint and tea tree mixed into a 100ml bottle with atomiser. I have thought of adding some Aloe Vera Gel into the mix as it’s supposedly very good for the skin. I’ve never used it before but was wondering if it would be too thick to go through the atomiser once mixed in with the other ingredients? It’s no big deal if it doesn’t but I do prefer the ability to control the amount that comes out if possible.
You could always use one of those pump bottles that liquid soaps are sold in if your mixture becomes too thick for a spray bottle. :)

Paul.

I am about to start experimenting with this. I've got witch hazel, but I'm wondering if you have any recommendations as to where to get glycerine and essential oils? I found a bunch on ebay, various sellers, but I'm not sure about the quality...

I think EOs from Tisserand are legit, but possibly more expensive than others? They're aimed at the aromatherapy market. You've got to be a bit careful with medical grade EOs, to make sure you're not going to do yourself harm, eg some people should not have clary sage. Another indicator is that they're all priced accordingly. If a shop sells oils where all of them are the same price per ml, they're probably not the real deal. E.g rose absolute and sandalwood are pretty expensive and sold in tiny quantities.

Last edited:
Thank you both - both Nikura and Tisserand look good. Tisserand is more expensive, but certainly the real deal, they're also more explicit about sourcing - e.g. for tea tree they have either organic, or 'ethically sourced'. Nikura has good (IMO) deals on 'bundles' of oils, and they distinguish between essential oils and 'fragrance oils' (e.g. their sandalwood is a fragrance rather than and an essential oil).

And thanks @hotmetal for the warning - I will be careful.

Back
Top Bottom