Honest opinions re. the sale of my Blackbird please.

Having seen some remarkably encouraging results regarding certain items of shaving gear on Ebay it's prompted me to re-think my listing of the Blackbird bits I have for sale here on BST.

I've listed the kit at no profit to myself after accounting for postage and PayPal fees... and I bought it when it was at a 10% discount from Shane so it's cheaper than it would be now. And there's no waiting... so I didn't think I was being unreasonable.

On to the point of my post.... Should I persevere here or now stick it on Ebay at a 10% -15% higher price to account for the selling fees... or am I being unreasonable in hoping to recoup the price paid? I'm not now confident of a sale here on BST as I think anyone who was going to buy it would have done so by now. And most of us agree BST offerings aren't getting snapped up like they once were.

No reason why you can't list it on ebay for more, and leave it on BST.

But, I think you are right, if it was going to sell, it would have gone by now.

Real shame though it's a great razor for a great price.

If I didn't have the OC and SB BB's I wouldn't have thought twice about buying it.

GLWTS

Edit - Forgot to add, until it sells, why don't you use it? You never know, you might like it.

FWIW - The Blackbirds are the only DE razors I own. I sold the rest when I realised how good they are.

Last edited:
Having seen some remarkably encouraging results regarding certain items of shaving gear on Ebay it's prompted me to re-think my listing of the Blackbird bits I have for sale here on BST.

I've listed the kit at no profit to myself after accounting for postage and PayPal fees... and I bought it when it was at a 10% discount from Shane so it's cheaper than it would be now. And there's no waiting... so I didn't think I was being unreasonable.

On to the point of my post.... Should I persevere here or now stick it on Ebay at a 10% -15% higher price to account for the selling fees... or am I being unreasonable in hoping to recoup the price paid? I'm not now confident of a sale here on BST as I think anyone who was going to buy it would have done so by now. And most of us agree BST offerings aren't getting snapped up like they once were.
Stuff on BST doesn't seem to be moving much lately. I'd take a chance on Ebay.

It depends on how quickly you want to sell. My guess is that people are after a real bargain or trade for something. You might get lucky and somebody that is looking for a blackbird sees your post and is happy to pay the asking price.

Waiting time, custom fees or shipping cost from the US for example are only considered when you are selling something that is very much in demand ( in fashion if you like) I remember last year when a few people were after an ATT S1 plate and were prepared to pay top price for one.

If you need to sell quickly then list here and ebay.

I think possibly also the trouble is that once it's been bought new, even if New and never taken out of the box , it is classed as second hand. On most forums I am on the general consensus is then that it's worth is generally about 65-70% of the new price.
Seems harsh, but it seems the norm.:-(
Try eBay finishing on a Saturday night around 8.30-9pm, I've paid some ridiculously over the top prices for stuff then after having a few shandies.:)

I think possibly also the trouble is that once it's been bought new, even if New and never taken out of the box , it is classed as second hand. On most forums I am on the general consensus is then that it's worth is generally about 65-70% of the new price.
Seems harsh, but it seems the norm.:-(
Try eBay finishing on a Saturday night around 8.30-9pm, I've paid some ridiculously over the top prices for stuff then after having a few shandies.:)

What day do you need to list an item to get it to finish on a Saturday if listing for, say, 7 days? I'm never sure whether the period starts on the day you list it i.e. do you post the ad. on Sat. to finish on Sat?

I found the answer on an Ebay help page ..... 'Listings end in whole-day increments from the listing's start time. For example, if you list at 1.14 pm. Sunday, and select a listing duration of 3 days, your item will end at exactly 1.14 pm on Wednesday'.

Therefore to have the ad. finish as Vassili suggests means placing it Friday evening if I've read it correctly.

I found the answer on an Ebay help page ..... 'Listings end in whole-day increments from the listing's start time. For example, if you list at 1.14 pm. Sunday, and select a listing duration of 3 days, your item will end at exactly 1.14 pm on Wednesday'.

Therefore to have the ad. finish as Vassili suggests means placing it Friday evening if I've read it correctly.
This is indeed correct .

i don't think anyone should mind if you put it on BST at double the price you paid for it, as long as you don't mind it if no-one buys it. You are a decent and fair guy and it's your razor so you should feel no guilt selling it where and for how much you want.

What day do you need to list an item to get it to finish on a Saturday if listing for, say, 7 days? I'm never sure whether the period starts on the day you list it i.e. do you post the ad. on Sat. to finish on Sat?
If you want it to finish at 9pm on a Saturday then list it for 7 days starting at 9pm on a Saturday or 9pm on a Wednesday for 10 days

If you want it to finish at 9pm on a Saturday then list it for 7 days starting at 9pm on a Saturday or 9pm on a Wednesday for 10 days

Ah, now I'm confused. As I understood it the Ebay help page that I quoted above doesn't say that - it says for a 3 day listing ending on a Wednesday (for example) I need to list it on the previous Sunday. That is to say three full days commencing on the Monday... Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday being the three full days. Or have I misunderstood that?

Which is it, I have to ask again?

Here's the info. from the Ebay site..... 'Listings end in whole-day increments from the listing's start time. For example, if you list at 1.14 pm. Sunday, and select a listing duration of 3 days, your item will end at exactly 1.14 pm on Wednesday'.

Greetings Stan

I suspect the reason that some of these modern razors are not selling so quickly here anymore is because of the share number of different makes and models on the market compared with a few years ago; people tend to perhaps think "I've already got x number of modern DE razors do I really need yet another expensive razor even if it is a bargain".

Maybe when there was only an Ikon and one or two others, shavers were keener to experiment (I even bought an Ikon) is it now the case that everything in the modern DE world has more or less been done so possibly shavers are thinking, "I haven't got a Blackbird but I've got several so similar I won't part with any more dosh".

Just a thought and I could be quite wrong but trying out modern stainless DE's is not like buying old Valet's at five quid a pop!

Regards
Dick.

Start time Sunday to same time Monday is day one, to same time Tuesday is day 2, to same time Wednesday is day 3, Thursday is day 4, Friday is day 5, Saturday is day 6, Sunday is day 7

Back
Top Bottom