honing kitchen knives

Hi gents, it was my brothers birthday last month so i was thinking of getting him this http://www.edenwebshops.co.uk/en/pt/-eden-quality-combi-waterstone-grain-240-800.htm

i was wondering what other people are using to sharpen their kitchen knives, the grit rating is comparably lower than the naniwas of the same grit size so i was wondering if this would be too low.

thankyou,
Pete

Does anyone know where I can get a ceramic sharpening cone? Kin used to sell them but they've been discontinued. I am in the UK and don't want to worry about international shipping / HMRC etc.

David

As long as his knives aren't a complete mess I'd get the Eden 2k/5k which sounds like it'll be behave like a naniwa 1k/3k which is what I use.

I use a LIDL diamond coated sharpening thingy on my Wilkinson Sword Knives (they are 30+ years old and proper made in Sheffield stuff :) ) and a couple of strokes keeps them nice and pointy.

Cost me a fiver and less fuss than using a stone.

Also, don't chop onto anything hard, it'll kill your blades way too quick, wood or plastic the block of choice for me :)

800 grit is as low as you should go for kitchen knives because it shifts a lot of metal off the blade. 800 to set then 1200+ to hone and 10000+ to put a mirror finish on it.

of if you want to save some money get one of these lansky blade medic

cheap and cheerful

or expensive look here Egginton Sharpening Steels

British made and will last longer than you. I've use one daily at work for the last 26 years and it still looks like new ok I have looked after it but is had been used and abused (breaking pad locks don't ask and punching holes in veg oil drums)

They are so good that I recently brought a set of 3, Coarse Helical grind, Duel cut grind and Diamond grind all with matching Hard Wood handles. That lot set me back £140 aprox

I use an AnySharp ... AKA 'The World's Best Knife Sharpener'. When all my knives got to a point they were going to need a regrind and professional hone, I thought for the price of a tenner, I would ...

... I never sent my knives off.

The result can feel a little ragged if you use too much pressure, but whipped up the back of a leather belt a couple of times and you're done. Several of my knives pass the hanging hair test, not that I'd shave with them anyway, but it would be possible. I can cut through a tomato with no pressure whatsoever - just gravity and the weight of the knife.

All that said, it's for Western knives, so no use for single edged Japanese.

pjgh said:
I use an AnySharp ... AKA 'The World's Best Knife Sharpener'. When all my knives got to a point they were going to need a regrind and professional hone, I thought for the price of a tenner, I would ...

... I never sent my knives off.

The result can feel a little ragged if you use too much pressure, but whipped up the back of a leather belt a couple of times and you're done. Several of my knives pass the hanging hair test, not that I'd shave with them anyway, but it would be possible. I can cut through a tomato with no pressure whatsoever - just gravity and the weight of the knife.

All that said, it's for Western knives, so no use for single edged Japanese.

+1 Paul. I thought it was sacrilege using the Anysharp but it's a great little tool and keeps my kitchen knives in tip top condition.

Back
Top Bottom