Honing - Send off or buy own Stone

Hello Chaps,

Sadly it has come to a stage when my Dovo Black Star needs to be honed back to life. In your infinite wisdom and experience would you suggest sending my dovo away to be professionally sharpened or is it better to make this an in-house operation with a bit of investment. Thoughts?

If your Dovo is special to you I'd not be one to recommend learning on it for your first go. Maybe better to pick up an el cheapo to practise technique on first.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Well, honing costs 20-25 pounds, a set of stones will take you back at least 300. That's 12 professional honings at least - about 4-5 years worth of it. Now a middle of the road solution - if that's just something you're just interested in doing as a hobby, maybe get a second razor from eBay, one stone and play with that one, having your go to razor honed professionally to do the job.

actually tony miller charges

£15 or so for honing

you can prolong time between honing if you use a finishing stone

personally ive got a small finishing stone that ill ocationally do a few laps on but it will still have to be sent off

i sent my last razor to ralfy and he is good, never heard of any problems from miller, steve at invisible has had an issue or two but they are both so helpful that i havent heard of anyone who is disapointed

shanky887614 said:

£15 or so for honing

you can prolong time between honing if you use a finishing stone

personally ive got a small finishing stone that ill ocationally do a few laps on but it will still have to be sent off

i sent my last razor to ralfy and he is good, never heard of any problems from miller, steve at invisible has had an issue or two but they are both so helpful that i havent heard of anyone who is disapointed

Is postage back and forward from the states not a bitch if you use tony millar.????

Yeah dont like coti as finished edges. so ralfy out

you still using that slurry stone to try and do touch ups on.
oh to be young and have bum fluff.

oh Neil Millar is UK based and quite good.

pedro083 said:

£15 or so for honing

Is postage back and forward from the states not a bitch if you use tony millar.????

I think it's important to distinguish between the two Millers - one manufacturs and sells high quality strops and the other - sells strops. National retiscence stops me from pointing out which is which.

My suggestion is that if it's not that out of sharp, buy a nice reasonably priced Barber Hone. That might put her back into order and you can use it for touch ups when stropping isn't enough.
You also didn't mention if you use and paste on your strop. A little dab of chrome oxide might be enough. I'm no expert but I find that if i didn't screw up the bevel than the paste or barber hone are usually enough.
(but then I'm the one who thinks the Feather artist is the best thing since sliced bread!)

UKRob said:
pedro083 said:

£15 or so for honing

I think it's important to distinguish between the two Millers - one manufacturs and sells high quality strops and the other - sells strops. National retiscence stops me from pointing out which is which.

my bad said wrong name its neil right?

and i dont really use my straight at min using shavvete

Back
Top Bottom