Honing with uneven spine wear

I have a Stiz that has uneven wear to the spine. The tang end seems to be the original width but then it tapers in and then gradually out again towards the end.
[attachment=7731]
Can this be honed at all? Can it be fixed somehow? Any help or opinion will be appreciated.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372353472.988431.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372353472.988431.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 54
What's the condition of the shaving edge now? Is the width equal from toe to heal? What does the bevel look like?
If they all look positive, I'd say tape her up and hone.

The width of the spine seems a little narrower in the middle and wider at the ends. I think the bevel needs to be reset to be honest. I have a little microscope and through it the blade looks to be pretty blunt. It will only cut some of the hairs on my arm by drawing it back and forth with a little pressure.

It's very difficult to tell from this one photo - why not get in touch with either Neil at Strop Shop or Steve at Invisible Edge - they will be able to ask the right questions or maybe take a look at it to give an opinion.

If it's not worth very much you are only risking some postage and packing.

As Rob as already said it's impossible to make out anything from the photo, but what i've found with slightly uneven spines if you double tape them and start by lightly honing the razor you can sometimes overcome a little spinal hone wear using this method it's about applying pressure to the correct area or lessening where needs be, nothing ventured nothing gained who knows?

Jamie

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this after you both took the time to answer my call for help. I only bought this to have a newbie bash at honing with some lapping film, (seriously uncool I know), but as a newbie I didn't ask if the spine was straight or for photos to decide for myself. It won't sit flat as it is. I think I might try your suggestion first Jamie and use a felt tip on the bevel to see if its making even contact. Failing that, a professionals point of view like Neil or Steve's is probably a wise course of action. Thanks for the input gents.

Back
Top Bottom