How are Merkur getting away with the appalling QC?

I seem to recall about a year or so ago there was a real dearth of certain Merkur models. Caused, if I remember correctly, by a change in the hours of work permitted by German law. This was causing precision industrial users such as Merkur problems in sub contracting certain processes in razor manufacture to smaller engineering works. One of the difficulties may well be in quality control I imagine.

Traditionally Merkur have always been excellently "over engineered", as witnessed by the large number of Hoffritz & older Merkur razors holding their value & being greatly in demand. It's a shame if modern practises are damaging such a well thought of brand.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Merkur-Slant-Head-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Original-Case-Merkur-Blade-/270992823185?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f186e5391

Gotta be kiddin'... 100 quid for Merkur, identical to 37c, and still over a day to go..

Helveticum said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Merkur-Slant-Head-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Original-Case-Merkur-Blade-/270992823185?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f186e5391

Gotta be kiddin'... 100 quid for Merkur, identical to 37c, and still over a day to go..

In what way is that a vintage Merkur? Have you spotted the year mentioned or anything? To me it just looks like a used Merkur, i.e. a few years old in the older style case.
My chemist on the high street still has a few Merkurs for sale in those plastic cases, they're not old at all.

Canuck said:
Helveticum said:

In what way is that a vintage Merkur? Have you spotted the year mentioned or anything? To me it just looks like a used Merkur, i.e. a few years old in the older style case.
My chemist on the high street still has a few Merkurs for sale in those plastic cases, they're not old at all.

I guess I should sell my 37c, just put Vintage in description :icon_razz:

Helveticum said:
I guess I should sell my 37c, just put Vintage in description :icon_razz:

You and me both. From the look of that listing, as long as you call it vintage you're in. There is simply no way of telling that "vintage" one from your used 37, from my used 37, or from any other 37 in the world.
Good photos always help, but still.

Having used Kev's Hoffritz, the difference between the vintage ones is clear.

The best way to describe it is the razor looks to have a smoother finish, the plating is also smoother too.

Well I've got a Hoffritz, it shaves exactly the same as 37c, maybe even little less efficient. Main difference is - it's silver plated and allegedly brass.

I think that's it, it looks darker that the 37C and better finished. Would explain the difference in material and finish for me.

Back
Top Bottom