How Do You Stop Your Blades from Rusting?

Something which didn't occur to me until just now, how do you stop your blades from rusting?

Do you put the end of your DE shaver in oil when not in use? Keep the spare blades out of the bathroom? Or are they tough enough to withstand the bathroom climate?

I don't keep my blades in the bathroom, I keep mine in the study along with all the rest of the shaving stash. The only stuff in the bathroom is the creams and soaps in current rotation, along with the razor and brush I am currently using. I only use a blade for at most 3 days, and haven't had one go rusty in that time left in the razor. I wouldn't leave a used blade in a razor for the long term, its best just to throw it away and use a new one next time.

Mine are in the bathroom (well, most of them) and no issues. They can sometimes rust a little if left in a wet razor for several days, but that's only happened a few times in about 3 years

I've never seen any on mine. I only keep one packet of blades at a time in the bathroom cabinet, which has a few of those silica bags in to absorb any moisture anyway.

I have two tupperware cases one in the bedroom full of blades and a smaller one with a couple of each type in the bathroom cupboard.

I keep a few packet of silicon bags (from shoe boxes) in both cases to absorb any moisture

seems to work.

again i only use a blade twice so it stays in the razor till next day

Lose the beard said:
I only use a blade for at most 3 days, and haven't had one go rusty in that time left in the razor. I wouldn't leave a used blade in a razor for the long term, its best just to throw it away and use a new one next time.

... same here!

Unused blades are in a drawer in the bedroom, in a plastic box (Really Useful Boxes from Rymans...) and they have some silica gel sachets in there.

Whilst I agree with the earlier posters and keep my main stash out of the bathroom, I also note with interest the goings-on in my Used Blade Bank. It is a plastic jar that used to contain Omega 3 capsules and into which I chuck still wet, used blades and then close the lid on them. So we have an oxygenated, moist atmosphere inside the jar to which is added another wet blade and a dollop of oxygen every two days. The first blade went in months and months ago. How much rust in there in that plastic jar? None at all!

anotheruser said:
Something which didn't occur to me until just now, how do you stop your blades from rusting?

Do you put the end of your DE shaver in oil when not in use? Keep the spare blades out of the bathroom? Or are they tough enough to withstand the bathroom climate?

blades remain shrink wrapped in their 5 pack packages until im ready to use em in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. Wen im shaving with them they are long in the bin before any rust appears on em. I will say i shake the razor out and try to get most water off the head etc but thats just cuz i wanna protect the razor not the blade. As for leaving it in oil i was told thats not necessary for the razor or blades thats more for like long term straight razor storage if im not mistaken..

My blades are kept in their packaging in a small bathroom cabinet and I've never experienced any rusting on any blade at all. I dismantle and towel dry my razor, pat the blade and shim after every use with two hand strops of each blade bevel (4) just to keep the blade edge clean and free. I'm the only rusty thing in the bathroom these days.....

I've never had a blade go rustey.

They stay in the packet until needed, and they stay in the razor and in the bathroom until done with. Obviously, if you use a rotation which causes a blade to remian in a razor for more than a week without use, that may be a problem.

Ian

How Do You Stop Your Blades from Rusting?

I just make sure I change them often.
I'm surprised at the caution used on new packaged blades so far, mine live in the bathroom cabinet, I've got some that have been there 2 years but I've not found a rusty one yet.

Fido said:
No. Blades remain in packaging until needed. Away from the bathroom. Blade is changed once a week. Rinsed and dried after each use. Rust has never been an issue.

Same here except I change every 3rd shave and don't leave a blade when in the razor when I'll be away for a couple of days.

No rust problems to report yet.

As I usually buy them by the 100. I use the double zip lock freezer bags to store them in. My Feather AC blades I keep in those plastic prescription bottles with the press and twist tops once i open the plastic wrap on them.

I'm definitely on the OCD/anally retentive scale on this one.

I've now about 1500 sealed blades in a medium-size clip-top tupperware container, that's kept in the bedroom wardrobe. I have about 80 loose blades in another sealed container, that I'm slowly working my way through, which is also kept out of the bathroom. Both boxes have silica gel packets chucked in.In terns of open blades: I only ever have one blade on the go and, as I rotate razors, both razor and blade are dried and put away.

Back
Top Bottom