How does my lather look?

Well after a terrible shave over the weekend I was advised that one major problem could be my lather so I've been practicing today and have made up a typical lather for you to see and hopefully give me some pointers.

Made with a badger brush, TOBS Mr Taylor cream and a cappucino sized mug.

lather1.jpg

Tell me what you think guys.

Cheers

Andy

For my tanner's worth, I prefer to lather directly on to my face having wiped the soaking badger accross the tub of Mr Taylor...or a kidney bean sized squirt from a tube, into the core of said soaking badger. Stays good for three passes and extras.

To a non-shaver I guess that sounds kinda wrong on all sorts of levels but I hope you know what I mean. I don't see a point in leaving the valuable lather in a bowl.

Get it slapped on Andy lad!

:shave

I did also try a lather of soap right onto my hand missing out the mug phase and I do find I had a bit more control over the lather. I might try applying straight onto my face next time. I find Mr Taylor is the best lathering cream I have.

doesn't look that bad mate, certainly good enough to shave with.

if i were being picky it needs a wee bit more work to get rid of the bubbles that are left but that's nowt to get heat up over

I'm with Hando: it doesn't look like the lather is a problem. What is your preparation routine? I'd say 2 minutes with a hot, wet towel over the face is an absolute minimum, and really not enough for me. I'm still suspicious of that Derby blade though.

Well I alwats shave after a shower so that my face is fully hydrated and between shower and shave I re-wet my face with hot water at least twice. From the feedback I've had on the lather Im beginning to think it may be an issue with the grain on my neck.

I find that although I always try and shave after a shower, how I treat my beard in the shower does make a difference, at my mums house I use her conditioner on my beard and that works really well, at home I just use coal tar soap and that works as well.

I wonder if i am doing something wrong as i use about two kidney beans worth of cream on my brush..

hando said:
just stick to shaving WTG for now ;)

Yea I try to but my neck is one of those ones where in any single stroke there is a good chance im going to be ATG at some point my hair (especially at either sides of my adams apple) grow in every direction.

...mmm

it's elimination time then mate

you still got any cartridge razors left or disposables?

stick with the way your making lather (brush & cream\soap) but go back to the old razors and see what happens

If its only been one bad shave in a few then it could have been technique or a rogue blade.

Well I do have some cartriges left but I stopped using them because the burn and ingrowing hairs I was getting are worse than when I nick myself with my DE. Even though I was quite bloodied on sunday morning a little bit of alum and some TOBS balm and the pain was gone and my neck looks ok today.

With cartrige razors I was getting constant ingrown hairs and prolonged burn.

I genuinely think that now its just a case of improving my technique. Ive used merkur and derby blades and this was the only bad shave I've had.

I'll also say that I had an operation the other week and to be honest it's making it hard for me to concentrate.

I will definitely persevere just now as my previous DE shaves were head and shoulders above anything I'd ever had with my Mach 3.

Lather looks okay, give it a rub between your'e fingers does it feel nice and slippy or "slick"? No pressure and WTG passes, it will take a while to adjust to a heavy razor.

Have you had a good look at the mantic59 shave tutor videos?

antdad said:
Have you had a good look at the mantic59 shave tutor videos?

Yea, I saw his videos when he started posting them years ago, it was those videos which persuaded me that cream(or soap)/brush was the way to go.

Practice, practice, practice ;)

Back
Top Bottom