How long can shaving creams last ?

Reason is that last week I got a little over excited whilst on exec shaving site and ordered one of everything from the TOBS tub creams as well as 2 x D R Harris tubs from fleabay and a pens opus

Now I shave every other day so it's gonna take time to pump my way through that lot

I thought I read somewhere that creams can be stored for ages with no ill affects and time in storage can actually benefit some creams ?

The creams are in the tubs. Sealed tight in a cool place

What is your view chaps ?

I don't think you'll have any problems with regards to performance steve.

They may dry out and loose there scent a bit after a while but I can't see much more happening.

Should be ages, there were a load of NOS Coates creams about last year IIRC I seem to remember Robert from The Gentlemans Shop saying that they might benefit from the addition of a little water but that was all.

Sealed tubs are pretty much indefinitely useable, at a guess I'd say ten years as a minimum, possibly longer? I'm starting to worry that Steve knows something we don't. Wasn't it a Nuclear Reactor you worked at?

Jeltz said:
Should be ages, there were a load of NOS Coates creams about last year IIRC I seem to remember Robert from The Gentlemans Shop saying that they might benefit from the addition of a little water but that was all.

Yup. If anything they'll lose a tiny bit of moisture content, easy enough to add it back in when it comes time to use it.

I asked Henk the same question once and he said around a year (for his creams), if I remember right. But I've got some Palmolive cream from the 1950/60s that works fine. It depends on if there' s preservatives in them aswell and I guess there is, in comercial creams at least.

I remember the old homemade Lye Soaps. If you didn't put them away in a box somewhere for a good long time the droplets of lye would still be there and eat away your skin!
Guess modern might be better!

i have two TOBS tubs, both are a year old now and barely half used. In each case, the cream looks exactly as it did when they were new. No drying, no loss in smell or performance. You'll be fine for some time to come.

that said, if you get bored of any, theres always room for TOBS creams in my cabinet ;)

that said the TOBS creams now have no parabens in them, which i think was used as a preservative. So their lifespan may be slightly shorter than perhaps it would have been before. Still no issues here though.

Back
Top Bottom