How many passes? - and it's not about Barcelona!

I don't have fixed start and finish times, but the missus is on a fixed shift so I get ready and leave with her for a 9am start.

Weekdays it is a two pass shave (one top to bottom, and one ear to nose) with a third lathering for touch ups. I don't aim for any kind of BBS closeness; just a clean irritation free shave. I feel there is nothing worse than seeing those guys that look as if they have taken sandpaper to their face every day, it just looks awful and when it happens to me I find it irritating and kick myself; usually because it is my fault for pushing it.

Weekends I do much the same but at a much more leisurely pace.

I tend to do 3 passes and a little buffing. If I'm in a rush or if I'm slightly tender from a bad shave the previous day 2 passes will do well enough, generally though shaving only takes a few minutes. The brush soaks while I shower and I face lather which takes about a minute, then each pass takes less than a minute so I reckon that I'm done in just over 5 minutes in the morning without feeling like I've rushed.

One pass - against the grain.

Did you expect any other kind of answer from Vinny?

When I've shaved using two or three passes I've always thought it very inefficient.

I can see how people enjoy their products and the whole ritual of shaving and how they would want to prolong that enjoyment and good for them.

antdad said:
joe mcclaine said:

Pain would be my post shave if I did that.

I agree with Antdad. I normally use 3 passes - WTG and XTG over the whole face [hopefully missing nose, lips, ears etc :lol: ] and then ATG just under the chin - only 'cos I still have a frightening image of being bawled-out by a drill instructor on parade for having a "forest under there" :shock:

I still have nightmares.... :mrgreen:

Paul

One pass wtg, one atg. I worked shifts for over thirty years one way or another, so when I came off nights in the morning & started lates in the same afternoon I just juggled my shaving patterns to suit.

JohnnyO. :shave

Fido said:
For more years than I can remember, I slapped on some goo and scraped it off as quickly as I could, and shot off to work.

How different today.

I lather up, shave down my face and neck, lather again, shave up my neck and face, lather again and shave across to the centre. Then gently squeeze lather from the brush and apply by hand for a final, gentle tidy up. So that's four "passes' in all. And it all takes a lot longer than in my working days. But it is so much more of a pleasure than a chore.

Would I do this before going off to work in the morning? No way.

So is there a big difference between the retired and working shaving enthusiast?

this is exactly how i do it.. pretty much to the letter. Im 29, work full time, and still make way for this in the morning routine if need be

3030P said:
I still have a frightening image of being bawled-out by a drill instructor on parade for having a "forest under there" :shock:

Ah yes;

SSgt **** : Did you shave today, Private?
Pte **** : Yes Staff!
SSgt **** : NEXT TIME, STAND CLOSER TO THE SHAGGING RAZOR!!!

I laughed (inside).

I am one of the few lucky fellas out there who doesn't suffer razor-burn or in-grown hairs ... even using cartridges. Perhaps I have really girly hair which is very easy to shave. That would explain my ridiculously youthful, beautiful complexion.

joe mcclaine said:
3030P said:
I still have a frightening image of being bawled-out by a drill instructor on parade for having a "forest under there" :shock:

Ah yes;

SSgt **** : Did you shave today, Private?
Pte **** : Yes Staff!
SSgt **** : NEXT TIME, STAND CLOSER TO THE SHAGGING RAZOR!!!

:shock: :shock: I'm getting getting flashbacks now :shock: :shock: I think I'll have to lie down....

Fido ma good man!...
I go 4 passes with my DE's and straight razors..to get a nice close(r) shave than if I went 3 passes..perhaps you are realizing an extra pass gets a bit "extra closer" than what you used to do :shave
But If you are wondering why I go 4 passes with all my razors..why use anything more than 1 razor..less..much less irritation with my str8 razors :mrgreen:

Blades

Two and a half, more often than not. First one approximately with the grain, second approximately against it. The half is sort of diagonal under the jawline. But for purposes of basic social acceptability, one will do.

joe mcclaine said:

Did you expect any other kind of answer from Vinny?

When I've shaved using two or three passes I've always thought it very inefficient.

I can see how people enjoy their products and the whole ritual of shaving and how they would want to prolong that enjoyment and good for them.

I would have expected nothing less from Vinny, or is it Jo. ? Hard see.

I work earlies so I shave on an evening, wtg, xtg and touch up.
If I feel that Mrs t_s is up for some "Tubby luvin' " then I will do an atg pass ;)

I rarely do an atg pass :p

I do a three pass every weekday morning. Wtg, xtg, atg. During the week I will face lather to save time and the whole rigmarole takes around ten minutes, (exactly the time between the sports report at 6:25 and the end of the news at 6:35 - radio 4 is the stopwatch my mornings are regulated by).

I find that if I stick to a brush, soap, blade and razor I know: then the whole process is quite relaxed and enjoyable. Leaving me enough time to use WH and select a nice muted aftershave, iron a shirt, select a tie, kiss the wife goodbye and still be at the station for the 7:07 to the mills of infernal commerce.

Back
Top Bottom