How many shaves per blade

3 as a base point unless there is evidence to contrary. Treet carbons last me for 2 shaves (even with careful drying), Gillette Goals and NOS Gillette / Wilkinson typically 5.

Unduly pushing a disposable piece of hardware which cost less than 10p imho is false economy.

Last edited:
Generally five for me with a Personna med prep, I've found that the sixth shave tends not to be quite so good so out they go.

I agree with Bezoar though that everyone's different. For comparison, I could get about a week out of a cartridge before it started getting tuggy.

and i was lucky if I could get a cartridge with 3+ blades to last the entire shave.

But the use of stainless steel has eliminated a lot of the ability people had in the last century to sharpen blades and prolong blade life. Look at all the blade sharpener systems from the carbon era, they did a good job back then.

But it was still the same debate, do I take the hit and get a new blade, or do I get the sharpening system, and try to get another shave out of each blade..

Also, don't forget that to some extent, the number of passes you do will have an impact.

For me, a blade will generally do four to five triple pass shaves. If I were to make them all single (WTG) passes then that number would increase.

Does that kind of make sense?

And fully agree with Bezoar (above) pay attention to how it feels on your face. If it feels jumpy or grubby, then it may be time for a fresh blade.

Good luck.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

More than 7. I was replacing on a weekly basis but recently got 22 out of an Astra SP. Started February with a Feather and completed 16 shaves, all 4 passes. Hope to stay with the Feather till the end of the month. I don't believe in stropping to improve blade life, just a daily wipe and flip over.
I have enough blades to last more than my lifetime so may have to consider selling a few.

I usually go for six shaves in a week (miss out one day). Got nine out of an Iridium Super loaded in a Super Adjustable Black Beauty.

Back
Top Bottom