How Many!

Bloomin heck thats a lot of razors - Wow!

I agree with having a few and rotating them as and when the occasion arises.

@Ferrum takes pole position with the collection of over 50yrs! I wonder if he can remember the first one he bought and if he still uses it?

Short version, 20 Razors.

Long version, read on.

DE Razors x 15

Feather Popular - (first DE - a keeper)
Fatip OC - (most used DE - a definite keeper)
EJ Kelvin - (not using now, and will likely be passing on to a relative I got interested in DE shaving)
Parker unidentified TTO - (unused came free with some Penhaligon's products, will likely pass on)
Ikon 101 - (a keeper)
Ikon 104 - (not tried this one yet as my Ikon heads were only acquired this month)
Ikon X3 - (not tried, as above)
Maggard OC v2 - (will probably pass on or sell, it's OK but now superfluous)
Gillette Sterling - (cheap Indian made tech, works OK but worth nowt, will keep for travel)
Wilkinson Sword Classic - (unused – will likely pass (force?) on to next person I know that shows an interest in DE shaving)
Gillette Tech Thin Handle - (my favourite vintage razor, another definite keeper)
Gillette Tech Ball End - (will likely pass on, the thin above makes this one superfluous, but it is mint and was cheap)
Gillette New OC - (it is well worn works OK and I like it, but it's fate is undecided as yet)
Merkur 45C - (currently on its way to me)
Rockwell 6C Gunmetal - (arriving March 2017)

SE Injectors x 3
Schick L1 Black
Schick L1 Brown
PAL Injectomatic

SE Artist Club x 2
Ikon El Jefe with SE handle
Razorock Hawk Black (Under the Christmas tree so will be untried until Christmas Day at least)

I also have various cartridges and disposables left over from pre DE/SE shaving which I will keep for travel until they run out.

I can't see me getting any more razors for some time (don't quote me on that if you see anything I post in a future acquisitions thread to the contrary!), I have not even tried some that I already have!

If the Rockwell 6C is not as good as I hope I can see me drifting towards SE razors only in the future, and possibly trying an SR. I have two concerns with the SR route though, first gaining the knack and second if I do grasp it, then I know I will develop a whole new bout of SR related RAD.

Last edited:
Bloomin heck thats a lot of razors - Wow!

I agree with having a few and rotating them as and when the occasion arises.

@Ferrum takes pole position with the collection of over 50yrs! I wonder if he can remember the first one he bought and if he still uses it?

Can't remember the first I bought (probably an aluminium Tech), but I have the cased English Rocket that my grandfather gave me when I started in this lark.
The last I sold a few years ago was my 7-day cased Star SE set, but I bought several in my teens and twenties that I either lost or chucked, including at least one Sticky, PALs and Schicks. Even then, I was a sucker for fancy new razors.

I have
EJ de89 plus a clone,
feather popular,
Muhle R41,
Merkur Futur,
Merkur Progress
Merkur 39c,
Fatip piccolo,
Gillette fatboy
Gillette slim,
Gillette slim twist, early and later type,
Gillette tech aluminium twist,
Gillette Aristocrat, gold slim type,
Gillette Black beauty
Hacktan Gillette rocket type,

I have about a dozen straights, a feather Artist club, and another 3 kamasori, plus one Schick injector,
Though I have only bought the Schick recently, and I have no plans on further purchases

I looked around the other day and realised I had about 8.

• Merkur 37c
  • Gillette Tech
  • Chinese tech
  • Gillette Twist
  • Gillette Knack
  • Gillette Starburst Blue
  • Gillette Slim adjustable (for Christmas)
  • Golddachs something
  • Russian Death Brutaliser Open Comb Fatal Monster
I think I am done.

I sometimes wonder why I return to this forum - how much shaving information does one need? However, it's threads like this one that prompt me to return to certain razors.

I dug out my Gillette Tech this morning. It hadn't been used for months. However, with an SI blade, and a significant load of Proraso Red cream (also back in favour), I had a really fantastic shave.

The Tech would be a contender for a list of top ten design items in the 20th century. It rates incredibly highly on what I see as key criteria. It has high utility if you see daily shaving as a necessity, incredible durability, high quality manufacturing, simplicity of use, ease of maintenance. It's the full shooting match.

I sometimes wonder why I return to this forum - how much shaving information does one need? However, it's threads like this one that prompt me to return to certain razors.

I dug out my Gillette Tech this morning. It hadn't been used for months. However, with an SI blade, and a significant load of Proraso Red cream (also back in favour), I had a really fantastic shave.

The Tech would be a contender for a list of top ten design items in the 20th century. It rates incredibly highly on what I see as key criteria. It has high utility if you see daily shaving as a necessity, incredible durability, high quality manufacturing, simplicity of use, ease of maintenance. It's the full shooting match.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the Tech razor.

+1 for the Tech, which, for me, is also attractive on account of its many models and variations.

Daily use (rotated when blade is finished):
Gillette Fatboy, mine is well used.
The shave is sublime, the fact it's a bit dog-eared means the previous owners loved it as much as I do.

Merkur 39c, possibly the most consistent razor I own.
Any blade, no fuss, a bleary-eyed super-duper shave every time. My work day favourite.

Merkur 45c, I travel fairly often & that's why I bought it.
Damn its a good shaver, one of the best (IMO). Great blade feel.
It probably has improved my technique, it's so light & nimble, you can get even closer to the zen-ideal of no pressure, brilliant bit of kit.

Fatip grande, lovely paired up with the right blade. Hollow handle that resonates to the sound of sliced whiskers, mmm.

Weekend specials:
Blackbird. The most efficient razor I've tried. Face looks polished/5 years younger.
Just the job for a Sunday morning when I've skipped a few days. I find it a bit much daily.

ATT S1/2, beautiful to look at, a little blade fussy if I'm honest. I like to clean & dry thoroughly after use.
Too much faff for daily use. Always a real treat, fresh blade & take your time.

Merkur progress, marvellous.
Enough said.

Collection (there is a theme; plastic or vintage gillette TTO)
These are very special shavers for one reason or another:

Gillette Slim Adjustable
birth year. I had a really decent one of these that was in my daily group.
Then I found an absolute minter, birth year example. I traded the first & now barely use this one as it's too nice!? It's my problem, bonkers, I know.
Slim adj & fatboy are design classics, everyone should try one.

Plastic German open comb, unbranded. Amazing shave, the best full stop.
A little delicate to use regularly & no idea where you would find another.

Neo-Lux plastic slant. This blows my mind every time I use it.
A razor M.C. Esher would have liked, a lot.

Gillette HD-500. Gorgeous

Gillette junior aristocrat #49/53 (uncased so could be either). The same flat bottomed head as the #16.
A super efficient shaver, I need to be awake for this one and it amazes me how well made it is, SOLID.

1912 USA, a nice change to DE shaving.

I have another DE on the way to top-off my love of vintage Gillette's.
No more after that, I have more than enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom