Howdy!

Cheers all, what a friendly bunch you are :D
Looking forward to driving you all mad, errr... I mean chatting :lol:

Recently I bought myself The Bluebeard's Revenge gift pack, as I needed a decent new razor and bush and these seemed to get a decent review, also I fancied a try of their shaving cream which was again getting really good reviews. Maybe I was a bit gullible, but it did sound good and it was cheaper in a kit.
Anyway, the razor and the brush do seem pretty good, at least its much better than the Boots DE, and boar bristle brush I had before.
The shaving cream, however, while it smelt great (to me at least) and lathered up really well (think 'n' slick) it really didn't agree with my face.
Within moments of lathering up my face, my skin started to burn. Not sure if it was the perfume or one of their other "key" ingredients.
So, I told The Shaving Shack about this (where I bought it from and I think they're also the owners of The Bluebeard's Revenge) and they where very understanding and helpful. They very kindly gave me a refund for the shaving cream in the form of shaving points, to be used at their store, along with some suggestions for other good saving creams for sensitive skin. Anyway, I thought such good customer relations should celebrated, cheered and recognised, I will definitely be using them again!

I'm currently using Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap which is really excellent. The smell really reminds me of when I used to watch my grandfather shave.
I've also found that Mitchell's Famous Lanolin hand and body lotion makes and excellent moisturising balm for after a shave.
I tried a few razor blades with my new DE razor and I guess I'll try a proper sample range once I've gotten shaving with a DE razor good and consistent.
I tried a Nacent blade, but this just tugged and didn't want to cut at all and the only other blade I had at the time was a feather, which while it was lovely and sharp and easily removed my beard, it also did a good job of trying to remove my face :lol: - too impatient to wait for some new blades. I think I'll give the feather a go again once I've got the technique of shaving with a DE razor down, as it really did cut trough my stubble really well.
Anyway, I picked up 10 Israeli Personna's from the super market, for less than a couple of pounds. Theses have been a happy medium so far, though I can only get 2 shaves out of them and they can struggle a little cutting the stubble of my "muzzle" (I guess that's what you'd call it).

It seems to be a pretty steep learning curve at the beginning as in getting to terms with it all. So, if anyone has got any Information, comments or recommendations for me to try/share, based on this, let me know.
I also wondered if having a brushed metal head on your DE razor is a better idea than a polished head? I find that the polished chrome head on my DE tends to stick to my face and not slide over it after a rinse... I've been having to get a bit of lather on the head each time, after rinsing the razor, before I can continuing shaving...

Many Thanks

Les

Hi Les, bad luck with the Bluebeards cream, but I'm pleased to hear that you had good service from 'Dan' at The Shack. Another great vendor that we can trust for good service. If you like MWF the Shaving Shack sell it under the Bluebeards name so you could use your points for that.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.shaving-shack.com/the-bluebeards-revenge-wool-fat-shaving-soap-refill-120g.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.shaving-shack.com/the-bluebe ... -120g.html</a><!-- m -->

Slick said:
Get a vintage razor!

Thats kinda what I've been planning, I shall be in the Straight Razor forum in a bit with some questions ;)

Slick said:
Damn I've just bought 30 nacet blades!

Which one? I've got 2 different types, one with a picture of a crocodile being cut with a razor blade on the pink envelope and the other with 2 crocodiles being cut with a razor blade on a white envelope.

The single crocodile one is the one I tried and had no luck with. I suppose it could have been a duff blade. I've not tried the other type yet.
I've had these blades hanging about for years, so maybe the newer ones are better?...

Back
Top Bottom