I love this. Nikon DF

I love the look of this camera.

I've not handled or used it, but just the retro design takes me back to when I was a young camera repair technician in the mid-late eighties, and the 35mm Nikon stuff looked like this.

And no, I won't be buying one!

Ian

I have quiet of few of the original 35mm cameras that the design was taken from e.g. FM2N. Fine cameras, solid, well built and reliable.

To be honest, it looks very, very nice.. but the price is eye watering as has been said already. At a glance, under the hood the specs don't seem to be quite up to something like the D800, but the price certainly is... so a large chunk of the asking price is paying for the sexiness.

I still want one... but the asking price is too high, plus I'm primarily a Canon user.

I may have already pre-ordered one and am just waiting for collection on the 28th :blush: One of the few perk left of the contractor in the present climate, even so I'm having a big rationalisation of my camera gear to fund it and will be surviving on pot noodle for a fair while. Already got a set of modern lenses and now planning to get some oldie but goodie (and cheap) Nikkor lenses for it.

All the bits of a D4 I want at getting on for half the price (though its still silly expensive) and physical dials (with locks on which sort of defeats the object) and no video (don't need it, never used it). 16pm is more than enough for everything I shoot to print out, with the exception of 1 image I've never printed anything bigger than A0 so I don't need any more pixels (and the low light performance and raw speed drops off the more pixels you stuff onto the sensor). Nikons D700 took sales away from they D3 so the D4 and D800 specs are now different enough not to threaten the other. Slightly annoyed I have to buy it as a kit with the F1.8 lens in the UK, no body only option here and I'll miss the in camera CLS from my present camera but I can do that with a flashgun.

Two camps forming with this camera - one group convinced it will be the best thing since sliced bread and the other that it will crash and burn and I might be the only person in the UK that buys one :icon_cry2:

Beautiful looking camera, I want one but can't afford one, looking back at my camera history I was always a canon Man, but it was always a very close call on which side I would come down on would it be Nikon or Canon? just so happened that Canon won, only regret when I purchased my first EOS 35mm lets forget how long ago it was, only regrets I didn't buy the RT the first SLR where the mirror didn't flip, but since I switched to digital photography I've always been a Nikon Man.

barlines said:
Two camps forming with this camera - one group convinced it will be the best thing since sliced bread and the other that it will crash and burn and I might be the only person in the UK that buys one :icon_cry2:

Hows it holding up? I wanted one, pretty bad but have stuck with my D7000, despite it being deprecated by recent models.

How much of it is plastic and how much is metal?

For me and my 'style' of photography (which involves no style whatsoever)

The Good
Low light performance is absolutely phenomenal - you can see low light images as they are and capture them.
The dials are well implemented, good weight and clunk to them (but I wish the ISO was the top dial on the left rather than the lower one buts thats just me as I keep adjusting the wrong dial whilst looking through the viewfinder).
Battery life is exceptional
Noticeably less chunky body than D700 or D800 (but still loads bigger than the FM2 it was supposedly based around)

The Bad
Plenty of metal, but maybe just a bit too much plastic in areas.
The plastics and metals colours are not a good enough match on the silver version - I saw a black one recently and it looks a lot more 'together'.
SD card in bottom of camera, fiddly with a tripod and ended up buying a wifi card to get around that. I knew that was gonna bug me before I bought it and it did. Only one card slot but that makes no odds to me.
The AF area is noticeably smaller than the D700 (and a D800 I borrowed) - I find I have to point, focus lock and then frame. Thats not a bad thing as such, it just highlights I'm lazy and my approach has had to change.

The downright Ugly
Two buttons on the front (user definable but usually for DOF preview etc ) have glossy black inserts - why Nikon, just why?

I do a bit of street photography and weirdly I feel much less conspicuous with the Df than the D700. I think its a lovely camera but its not worth the current price. Got to love that sensor though.

Re: RE: I love this. Nikon DF

eneville said:
I often wish digital cameras were more like PCs where you can change components when things upgrade.

Agreed. I think a lot more people would stump up for a pro level DSLR if it came with the possibility of updating the sensor and image processing. I suppose MF backs come close with upgrade deals but they still cost the same as a couple of cars.

Back
Top Bottom