I Pad e-mail. Help Sought.

Greetings

I know that this forum has many well informed IT professionals and knowledgeable and enthusiastic amateurs as members and I really need some help/advice.

In an effort to drag myself out of the steam age I have purchased an I pad Air 2 64 so I can use it whilst I am away in the Summer via a 'pebble'. I previously owned (it packed up) an Android tablet for this purpose, which I hated.

I am starting to get to grips with it but the email has me stumped, my e-mail address is @toucansurf.com and is pretty ancient I have had it for 11 years. That isp has been through a whole chain of different owners and is now Talktalk. Their website states my address is incompatible with a mobile device.

When I had the Android tablet I signed up for a Gmail address and I am sure that I configured it to pull in my toucansurf mail when I was away by using my pebble on Three and other routers not connected to talktalk albeit I had to send on Gmail.

Try as I may I am not able to do this with the I Pad.

When at home via my router it works, when connected to another router (other than Talktalk) it will not, I have tried with every conceivable setting on my home desktop in my Gmail account to no avail.

Talk talk webmail is 'the pits', but I could use that and send on my Gmail if I am unable to solve the problem. I am hugely reluctant to update my old toucansurf address to a new talktalk one as it is linked to so many things.

Any thoughts would be gratefully welcomed.

Regards
Dick.

Can you not use your gmail account as your primary email and then have your toucansurf mail auto-forwarded to your gmail account through your toucan settings? Over time you should notify everyone that your gmail is now your main email account.

I've been through the same (toucansurf to talktalk) and changed primary address because toucansurf mail was proving increasingly difficult to access. As you've discovered you can't connect with a mobile device unless it's through a talktalk internet connection, it's not you it can't be done.

Dick, I'm afraid you should set up a new talktalk email account with your ipad and mail forward from your old toucansurf account, it's not too difficult and you can make the transition over time without having to touch webmail which I agree isn't good. There are issues with some apple devices setting up POP3 and IMAP incorrectly but that is apparently an apple issue and easily resolvable.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4294

Time to update! You've made a great step with modern tech don't be held down by increasingly archaic ISP email. I never understand why people stick with it.

Forward it your gmail account, it's robust and easy to set up on iPad and any mobile device.

mattyb240 said:
Time to update! You've made a great step with modern tech don't be held down by increasingly archaic ISP email. I never understand why people stick with it.

Forward it your gmail account, it's robust and easy to set up on iPad and any mobile device.
this^^

just forward everything and transition your emailaddress in various places at leasure! it's a pita for an old email tied to many sites/id's but might as well bite the bullit now.

mattyb240 said:
You've made a great step with modern tech don't be held down by increasingly archaic ISP email. I never understand why people stick with it.

Nor me - and virtually no ISP even wants to run an email service anyway... so it's crap for you (harder to move & likely poor support).

Gmail, Outlook.com (or whatever it was that finally replaced hotmail.com), bound to be several others (I'd steer clear of Yahoo - they have gaping holes for spamming and have had for years)...

Greetings

Thank you all for your advice I have binned, or should I say I am binning the old email address and have opted for a gmail one. I have already notified probably 95% of those who need to know but isn't it amazing how many more just crop up.

I will retain the old toucansurf address on my home desktop for a couple of months yet to see who I have forgotten.

I should have done this three days ago instead of spending endless frustrating hours buggering about with the toucansurf address.

Many Thanks
Dick.

Back
Top Bottom