I think I'm a Feather convert...!

Been trying a Feather blade in my '59 Fatboy this last few days, with great results. So far no irritation, no nicks or slices at all and a good close shave overall. I've heard that Feathers tend to go dull after as little as two shaves, however I've used this blade now for 4 shaves and it's still absolutely fine. I normally see 3 shaves from an Astra SP (my usual blade of choice) or yellow 7 O'Clock before I throw them so this was already looking good for the feathers. This morning I picked up what I thought was the Fatboy but was in fact my Slim adjustable which was loaded with an Astra SP that had been used once. After 3 or 4 swipes I thought it felt so bad and tuggy that I'd better fit a new blade before I nicked myself. Imagine my surprise when I realised my mistake, grabbed the Fatboy/feather and it gave another smooth easy shave (5 so far on this blade now). It was almost as smooth as the first shave too.

Very impressed so far!

Feather is my No.1 blade, with blue 7 o'clocks coming in second. The first shave with a new Feather is always awesome, third and fourth save still very good. Never tried a fifth shave. I usually toss them after three, somtimes after four shaves.
I tried some other blades but nothing came close to Feather.

Always nice to still read about the success of this old time favorite pairing, the fatboy 'n' feather is the epitome of mild razor sharp blade combinations.

Good it worked for you. Tried a Feather only very recently (my last Feather blade) in a Gillette Slim Adjustable having not had the best experience in a 34C and found it ok and nice to know it was going to be mild. Then had an idea to try it on the second day in the 34C again. Much better than then first time with the 34C and the odd small weeper but nothing unusual. I decided to keep using it until it was no more use and found I managed 6 shaves from it. It is very sharp as most know but a light touch (relax if you can) meant this felt very smooth. I just found the angle of the Slim not very easy to find but know that could well be down to lack of use.

A Gillette 'Sharpedge' then followed on the next day, again, in the same 34C and the Feather and S.E. aren't a million miles apart and whilst not as sharp (or just quite as smooth) as the Feather it's less likely to bite. Three shaves so far with S.E. and may try a 4th but suspect I'd be pushing it.

6 shaves so far with the Feather/Fatboy and still smooth, no cuts either. Used the Slim with a new Astra SP this morning for comparison and have 3 nicks to show for it...They do calm down after the first use though. This was my favourite blade so far until I tried the Feather...

I did the Feather-Fatboy combo today after who knows how long. Silly me - in a hurry to not miss the beginning of new Red Dwarf (even though I can rewind 'live' TV) and got quite a few cuts and a bit of irritation.

Might try the one Halk gave me and not bother with the shim I've been using. That would be a mild n' sharp combination, I reckon. Aye. :D

Back
Top Bottom