Iain M Banks

I clearly remember my first reading of Hyperion... The opening few pages have such ludicrously purple prose that I almost threw the book away! Glad I didn't, though, it improves dramatically. Probably due a reread, actually.

I'vs started reading "Use of Weapons"... I'm quite enjoying it, although I'm a very slow reader. Now I'm wondering whether to stow it and start on "Consider Phlebas"... then maybe read the Culture books in order.
Answers on a postcard, please!

I read them roughly in order, some a long time ago and others more recently. From memory I'd say it doesn't matter what order you read them in, but I suppose that in order will help understand the culture and customs of the Culture. If you're enjoying it then I'd stick with it.

Tall_Paul said:
Re Dan Simmons - I can't recommend the Hyperion quadrilogy enough. Much like Game of Thrones I found them utterly unputdownable.

Cor I'm about 2/3 through Storm of Sword and I just want to keep reading it. I would love to spend all day reading them but then they'd be over too soon and there's probably a long wait until the next book comes out.

Pig Cat said:
Tall_Paul said:
Re Dan Simmons - I can't recommend the Hyperion quadrilogy enough. Much like Game of Thrones I found them utterly unputdownable.

Cor I'm about 2/3 through Storm of Sword and I just want to keep reading it. I would love to spend all day reading them but then they'd be over too soon and there's probably a long wait until the next book comes out.

I'm halfway through a Dance with Dragons. I'll be gutted when I'm finished.

Tall_Paul said:
Pig Cat said:
Tall_Paul said:

I'm halfway through a Dance with Dragons. I'll be gutted when I'm finished.

Blimey yes, I don't envy you. I'll be there by Christmas and then what? :icon_cry2: I have The Hydrogen Sonata at least. At least if I contract a life-threatening illness I'll have the final books of the series to hold on for. That and my family of course. :blush:

Back
Top Bottom