Identification Help

Howdie, I've just inherited a classic shaving set from an Uncle of mine that has passed away. I'm guessing the Gillette in there is a double edge butterfly safety razor.

But I am having trouble working out what two other items are. They appear like two separate stainless steel pepper shakers, and one has a very old block at the bottom of soap looking material, with a musky aroma.

Any advice for a complete newbie in this area will be greatly appreciated!

azazeal said:
Howdie, I've just inherited a classic shaving set from an Uncle of mine that has passed away. I'm guessing the Gillette in there is a double edge butterfly safety razor.

But I am having trouble working out what two other items are. They appear like two separate stainless steel pepper shakers, and one has a very old block at the bottom of soap looking material, with a musky aroma.

Travel holders for soap (the one with soap in) and shaving brush (ventilated to let moisture evaporate so brush doesn't go musty)

Ainslie

Many thanks!

Gingerpose said:
azazeal said:

Travel holders for soap (the one with soap in) and shaving brush (ventilated to let moisture evaporate so brush doesn't go musty)

Ainslie

These are some pictures of the razor (taken from a poor camera).

[attachment=2985]
[attachment=2984]
[attachment=2983]
[attachment=2982]

I've put a small pack of blades on order to try it out. Before coming across this forum and finding out feather blades are ninja sharp!

Attachments

• IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    444 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0142.JPG
    IMG_0142.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 20
It looks like an aluminium handled Gillette Tech to me.

Check out these links:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1963%20Tech%20England.jpg

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1972%20(S4)%20Tech%20England.JPG

The weight and any code markings on the back of the razor head should help with more precise identification.

Sorry to hear about your uncle btw.

Cool thanks. Much older than I thought it was!

It comes in a leather case with the other bits. He use to travel a lot so I guess thats why he got it.

Anyone have any views on what it's like to use. Before I accidently end up cutting myself to pieces with it?

Aluminium techs are quite a nice forgiving razor, you should have no problems shaving with one. They're fairly mild and have a small blade gap so they're unlikely to cut you if you apply the same care as you would with any DE.
If you have a heavy beard or long stubble you might find they don't have quite enough bite but see how you get on.

One thing to bear in mind constantly with aluminium razors is to not apply too much pressure, it's easily done with such a light razor.

Give it a little clean (old toothbrush and a bit of bathroom / kitchen cleaner), wipe it dry and pop a clean new blade into it and that should shave as good as new.

Techs in general are mild razors and the aluminium Tech especially so, so not much danger of carving your face up. The only thing to watch is that because the razor is quite light that you don't apply too much pressure.

azazeal said:
Cool thanks. Much older than I thought it was!

It comes in a leather case with the other bits. He use to travel a lot so I guess thats why he got it.

Anyone have any views on what it's like to use. Before I accidently end up cutting myself to pieces with it?

Have had the new blade in, and have tried now for a few days rather than my usual razor. Still getting to grips with it and have only had a few nicks (nothing to cry about). I'm finding the shave still leaves my face a little rough to touch (though not really visibly stubbly), soft enough but not baby soft. Think my face needs to get use to it as by the second pass areas start to feel sensitive.

It takes a bit of practice to get the hang of a Tech head, especially if you're used to something with quite a healthy amount of bite. The sweet spot is pretty narrow and there isn't much weight to do the work for you in the case of the aluminium ones. The temptation to apply extra pressure should be resisted, of course.

Back
Top Bottom