Ignored Rule 1 - need advice

Having a vague idea of what I might do with it I ignored Rule 1 and bought an all brass Gillette New - hm! just picked up the handle and it's not heavy enough.

Having bought a brass plated Gillette New - why would they do that? - I'm a bit stuck for ideas for how to 'improve' it. Aha! there are small areas of brass plate loss exposing a copper-looking material that scratches brassily. The handle tube is cracked at both ends but the inserts are still fixed solidly. Verdigris is apparent in the nooks and crannies.

Is there an equivalent for brass of the bicarb and alu foil cleaning method for silver? I wish! Or do I get out the metal polish?

My interest is really in the head, which is in good nick except for a small patch of plate loss in one corner of the outer face of the cap. Can I have the head re-plated in nickel or silver - or chrome?

What is the best way to proceed, please?

Don't know about the re-plating...but I've used coca cola for cleaning brass items in the past....just leave 'em to soak overnight..in the morning it looks as though nothing has happened......until you rub.....Then even heavy tarnish just wipes away at a touch....only down side I could see ,was that it gives brass a more coppery tinge, than brass would normally have.

I've used this on really filthy black ,old victorian brass drawer handles...but not on razors....but it might be worth a go.

Bechet45 said:
Having a vague idea of what I might do with it I ignored Rule 1 and bought an all brass Gillette New - hm! just picked up the handle and it's not heavy enough.

Having bought a brass plated Gillette New - why would they do that? - I'm a bit stuck for ideas for how to 'improve' it. Aha! there are small areas of brass plate loss exposing a copper-looking material that scratches brassily. The handle tube is cracked at both ends but the inserts are still fixed solidly. Verdigris is apparent in the nooks and crannies.

Is there an equivalent for brass of the bicarb and alu foil cleaning method for silver? I wish! Or do I get out the metal polish?

My interest is really in the head, which is in good nick except for a small patch of plate loss in one corner of the outer face of the cap. Can I have the head re-plated in nickel or silver - or chrome?

I have had success cleaning brass with HP sauce. Spread it on, leave it about 1/2 hour and then wash it off and polish.
I'd suggest you try a tiny test on the least noticeable area before smothering the whole thing.

What is the best way to proceed, please?

You can get the whole thing re-plated in nickel by Dave at http://www.restoredrazors.com/ or maybe he will quote you for just the head. His work is top notch and can plate it in various metals depends what you want to pay.

missingskin said:
You can get the whole thing re-plated in nickel by Dave at http://www.restoredrazors.com/ or maybe he will quote you for just the head. His work is top notch and can plate it in various metals depends what you want to pay.

How does Dave work? I've emailed him and he's not responded before now. Do you just send the item to him with a note of what you want done? or does he acknowledge when he's available?

Dandy Highwayman said:
Bechet45 said:
I have had success cleaning brass with HP sauce. Spread it on, leave it about 1/2 hour and then wash it off and polish.

We used to use (original formula) HP sauce for polishing brass and copper in the Engine Room for the homeward bullsh*tting. It became a scarce commodity throughout the ship if the Second hadn't ordered enough - and British crews did not like being deprived of their HP!!

We used ketchup, so i am assuming vinegar bath will work. It will slightly yellow the brass, and red the copper. If you are going to plate the whole thing let me know . I made a handle from a piece of 3/8 SS tubing for someone on forum . I did not charge him. I will not charge you. I however, need parts from old handle. He is very happy with how it came out. PM if you're interested. It will be heavy but only 3/8 of an inch and smooth.

I only have enough HP for a bacon butty and never buy/eat ketchup so it was a toss up between coke after a trip to the village or vinegar immediately. The vinegar worked fine - slowly ate all the verdigris and then set about the brass plating and has made it coppery. Toothbrush spruce and now an ultrasonic bath - yes, it's cooked - looks like it'll take chrome plating no bother (as if he knows). It's clean anyway and matt.

So I cleaned and polished the Stahly head that was also in the u/s bath - and then wondered if the brass head would clean up. You know, just a corner....

Supper was late and I now have a shiny, gleaming brass ball end New! Shame to plate over it! But it fitteth not with anything else I have so it has to be re-worked, just as if it were nickel plated.

Here is an example I just made. I found a ball end but no screw end, so I took an insert made of chromed brass and inserted it. The top is just round.

[attachment=4914]

Attachments

• L1000270.JPG
    L1000270.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 23
The shiny brass razor transformed into a tarnished brass razor over-night - sealing its own fate!

Ishmael has got me thinking!

Are there any metal tuners/machinists amongst us - looking for a homer?

Back
Top Bottom