In defence of stainless steel razors

I don't know how or when it started - but for some reasons there has been a lot of "anti modern Stainless Steel razor"-posts lately and I am here to stand up against these steel naysayers and proudly declare that "My name is Darkbulb, and I love Stainless Steel razors" :)

Why do I like stainless steel razors?

To me much of it comes down to the weight and design.

As much as I like many razors in lighter materials such as aluminium and various lighter alloys - as well as some brass razors - I find that a razor made out of stainless steel has, for me, the Goldilock weight. Sure, different designs will add or subtract from that weight but there is still something about it resonates well with me when I pick it up.
As much as I love, say, Titanium, I feel that it's just a tad too lightweight. Once again - for me.

A number of the later razors made out of stainless steel have been rather 'beefy' when it comes to design. Longer handles, heavier heads, etc and personally I really like it. It changes how I hold the razor and how little pressure I need to apply. I simply enjoy the shave more.

I know it is easy to ridicule razors costing $200 or more and associate that with the steel fetish a lot of us appears to have but at the end of the day - if I feel 'better' about picking up a razor that feels good in my hand (nicely balanced and good weight to it) that's what matters the most to me.

A lot of razors are capable of producing a great shave but to me I can't see myself picking up most any of the vintage Gillettes (and I own probably 30-40 of them) as I find them too be too small (apart from say BigBoy, Big Fellow, etc) and deliver a shave that often is rather 'meh'.

I probably have 300 razors - and I've used at least 250 of them at some point - but I seem to only ever have 25-30 razors in my rotation. Out of those 75% are probably stainless steel.

Sure, not all modern stainless steel razors are 'winners' in my book - I still don't really like the $200+ Rx Asylum for instance - and the aluminum The General is one of my favorite razors. I guess it just shows that there are no firm rules.

The more intangible reasons
There are also other, highly subjective, reasons for why I often feel attracted to modern stainless steel razors; the look of a non-plated/chromed silver metal, the often CNC machined precision (even though I do rather like the molded Rockwell 6S as well so this might be a weaker reason) and the perceived "long lasting quality".
The last one is probably the hardest to describe/defend as most any razor we own will outlast us all with proper care be it made out of Zamak or bakelite - but there is just something, to me, about stainless steel and how I feel that this can and last generations if I should be so lucky. It's timeless and lasting and maybe there's some romanticizing as well going on and I'd be happy to admit that.

Anyway, long story short; I don't get the backlash these modern stainless razors are getting.
To me they have more than once proven to be a great choice in razors and I will continue to enjoy them as much as I can.

In the end it's all about finding what you like - not finding what you dislike about what others use.

And to really hammer the point home...here's my modern stainless steel collection for you to either like..or dislike :)
img_1912-jpg.3530

img_1913-jpg.3531

That's what I call a collection. I don't know how you decide each day. What a problem. No I get it. I can appreciate the quality that stainless provides. Some days I like a little heft (R41 w/Weber) and some I like the nimbleness of my single rings. Although I'm almost a pure vintage guy I do plan on obtaining an S-1 to replace my 37C. From there I don't know. Maybe a BBS-1 or a Wolfman. Although I must say the "Timeless" does look intriguing too. But. I've used enough razor's now that I'm not sure that any new stainless (or other vintage) is going to provide me a shave that reaches new heights.
The truth is with the right parring, I can get a superior shave with my R41, HD500, NEW SC or plain ole Rocket Flair Tip. I guess I just enjoy using different razors. Anyway congrat on a truly beautiful collection.

some weight to an injector would be useful. people say the pal adjustable is "heavy" but the balance sucks.. its like trying to use a fat boy with the same weight as a feather popular... it just doesn't work.

I do love my Fatboy as she's one of the best lookers at the party. Unfortunately for me the ole gal just can't dance.

some weight to an injector would be useful. people say the pal adjustable is "heavy" but the balance sucks.. its like trying to use a fat boy with the same weight as a feather popular... it just doesn't work.
But it does for some, we all have razors that work well for us while others do not.I actually get on very well with both PAL Razors.
Am currently using a couple of S/S Se razors, because I am intrigued to see if they shave as well as some infer. Only using comparatively low cost ones though, maybe get the use of others in a Pass Around if I am lucky.

Don't see a reason to defend stainless steel razors!

One day I might receive one, too.

And don't forget the MÜHLE Rocca which is a bargain -@DB i am wondering that you don't have one yet[emoji16]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Don't see a reason to defend stainless steel razors!

One day I might receive one, too.

And don't forget the MÜHLE Rocca which is a bargain -@DB i am wondering that you don't have one yet[emoji16]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Don't know - for some reason they don't appeal to me and with the BBS-1 really working well for me my DE razor 'wants' are significantly lowered these days.

I used to really like Stainless Razors, I had quite a few of them. I like the weight of them. A combination of reasons, mainly financial, meant I sold all of them, but I do still have 4 bulldog handles which all currently reside on Gillette New Open Comb heads. For me that combination looks a bit wrong but really works for me shaving.
I might have to start looking at some new stainless now I have started shaving regularly again.

I don't know how or when it started - but for some reasons there has been a lot of "anti modern Stainless Steel razor"-posts lately and I am here to stand up against these steel naysayers and proudly declare that "My name is Darkbulb, and I love Stainless Steel razors" :)

Why do I like stainless steel razors?

To me much of it comes down to the weight and design.

As much as I like many razors in lighter materials such as aluminium and various lighter alloys - as well as some brass razors - I find that a razor made out of stainless steel has, for me, the Goldilock weight. Sure, different designs will add or subtract from that weight but there is still something about it resonates well with me when I pick it up.
As much as I love, say, Titanium, I feel that it's just a tad too lightweight. Once again - for me.

A number of the later razors made out of stainless steel have been rather 'beefy' when it comes to design. Longer handles, heavier heads, etc and personally I really like it. It changes how I hold the razor and how little pressure I need to apply. I simply enjoy the shave more.

I know it is easy to ridicule razors costing $200 or more and associate that with the steel fetish a lot of us appears to have but at the end of the day - if I feel 'better' about picking up a razor that feels good in my hand (nicely balanced and good weight to it) that's what matters the most to me.

A lot of razors are capable of producing a great shave but to me I can't see myself picking up most any of the vintage Gillettes (and I own probably 30-40 of them) as I find them too be too small (apart from say BigBoy, Big Fellow, etc) and deliver a shave that often is rather 'meh'.

I probably have 300 razors - and I've used at least 250 of them at some point - but I seem to only ever have 25-30 razors in my rotation. Out of those 75% are probably stainless steel.

Sure, not all modern stainless steel razors are 'winners' in my book - I still don't really like the $200+ Rx Asylum for instance - and the aluminum The General is one of my favorite razors. I guess it just shows that there are no firm rules.

The more intangible reasons
There are also other, highly subjective, reasons for why I often feel attracted to modern stainless steel razors; the look of a non-plated/chromed silver metal, the often CNC machined precision (even though I do rather like the molded Rockwell 6S as well so this might be a weaker reason) and the perceived "long lasting quality".
The last one is probably the hardest to describe/defend as most any razor we own will outlast us all with proper care be it made out of Zamak or bakelite - but there is just something, to me, about stainless steel and how I feel that this can and last generations if I should be so lucky. It's timeless and lasting and maybe there's some romanticizing as well going on and I'd be happy to admit that.

Anyway, long story short; I don't get the backlash these modern stainless razors are getting.
To me they have more than once proven to be a great choice in razors and I will continue to enjoy them as much as I can.

In the end it's all about finding what you like - not finding what you dislike about what others use.

And to really hammer the point home...here's my modern stainless steel collection for you to either like..or dislike :)
img_1912-jpg.3530

img_1913-jpg.3531

Looking at that collection and thinking.... I am just going to shoot my self LOL.

I do agree about stainless steel razors as well and for me its import that the razor has some weight while being hand made like some of the great ones that are being made now.

Back
Top Bottom