In search of a woody smoke frag

Hiya fellas hope you're all well. Knowing a few of you love the smoky scents I wanted to pick your collective brains about a woody tobacco leather but good heft of smokey hit fragrance. So I have a soap i'm trying to match which is Cedar and Sandalwood by Vreto don't let if name full you its not the normal wood here its got a P&B spitfire feel to it . They both share many similar notes, But the Vreto has more Smooth woody smoke. So I messaged Goran the artisan of Vreto soap and he says the base is Himalayan Cedarwood, then the Sandalwood is a mix of santalum album and a sandalwood fragrance oil. He said the Smokiness comes from a good Lavender EO. To me it could almost have faint vetiver or patchoili without being too earthy or dirty. It almosthas a Drakkar Noir feel without thesharp, green or citrus opening. I've also messaged Kerry about spitfire and he's got back with some niche frags i've got to source and one of the Remy Lator cigar frags. I've also tried Oud Isphahan by Ard Al Zaafaran but thats more incense and sour oud rather than the peaty smoke i'm after.
Anyone got any ideas and hopefully a sample I can try lol

Last edited:
Rapport is very woody and smokey (it was very cheap in B&M or Home bargains last year), Cuba Classic Gold (in giant Cuban cigar or according to some looks like a dildo shaped bottle) smokey, chocolate/coffee like earthy smell. Both Rapport and Cuba are Edt with atomiser and have good staying power. Pashana original hair tonic has a very strong, natural, full on sandalwood scent, I know it is a hair tonic but overpowers and outlasts any aftershave.

You need to look to attars for smoke; so much stronger and more defined than occidental perfumes. You're on the right lines with houses like Ard Al Zafraan, but do look for the oils.
The problem I have with so many attars now days is the fact the all borrow that same sour oud. Where people say its smokey, its an incense smoke like i'm lighting josh sticks. I'd love to be let loose in your scent closet lol

Rapport is very woody and smokey (it was very cheap in B&M or Home bargains last year), Cuba Classic Gold (in giant Cuban cigar or according to some looks like a dildo shaped bottle) smokey, chocolate/coffee like earthy smell. Both Rapport and Cuba are Edt with atomiser and have good staying power. Pashana original hair tonic has a very strong, natural, full on sandalwood scent, I know it is a hair tonic but overpowers and outlasts any aftershave.
I'm going to look into those thanks

For really smokey woods, go for gaiacwood, cade and birch.

Quite a few from Zegna have that sort of campfire on peat bog thing going on. Although sickly synthetic, perhaps L'Occitane might be something to consider: Vetyver, Cade & Bavx. Puig Quorum.

The problem I have with so many attars now days is the fact the all borrow that same sour oud. Where people say its smokey, its an incense smoke like i'm lighting josh sticks. I'd love to be let loose in your scent closet lol

It takes some digging, but that all-pervading caricature Arabian scent can be got past and the really deep and unique scents revealed. My initial attar collection has been entirely scrapped and now consists of some carefully collected scents.

Hey Sid, which of this brand would wok lean towards or that you own that you'd be cool sharing a sample ;)

I don't own any full bottles but I very recently had samples of both Antico Carvso and Fvmidvs.
Antico Carvso has a similar vibe to JPG Le Male and Boellis Panama 1924, if you like those 2 you'll like Antico Carvso.
Fvmidvs, this I really liked. Heavy smoke, salty, peaty, it's like a Islay single malt with heavy smoke.
Both are high in oil content and the Fvmidvs in particular has great longevity and projection.

Back
Top Bottom