Induction hob

Does anyone have one?

I've been thinking of getting myself an induction hob to replace my gas one. Apart from the obvious, i.e. needing a set of pans suitable for induction hobs I wanted to know about the pros and cons, do you like them, would you have another one etc etc!

In other words everything I've ever wanted to know about induction hobs but was too afraid to ask!

I am really sorry that I'm not going to give you an answer to your question. I'm just intrigued as to why you'd move from gas to electric. I have just moved from a house that had no gas supply so we were pretty much forced to go for electric. Gas cylinders were not a practical option. I am waiting with anticipation for the day when we have our new kitchen fitted and a gas hob to cook on. So, why the move to induction?

Sorry, I can't help either, but we are about to get our kitchen refitted and one thing we were considering was induction to replace our current gas hobs.
The ones with touch screen controls look amazing, but worry the hell out of me if (when?) they go wrong. You can't just lift the burner off or light them with a match.

they turn off if you lift the pan off, unlike gas which will stay on

there cold to the touch if you put hand on them (unless there has been a pan on there which will heat up the glass)

it also gives you more space to cook/put things when not in use (as long as you remember to turn of at wall)

otherwise you can get a very anoying beep coming from it

you will find that you can heat pans up a lot quicker with an induction hob, if i put it on full (there is 1-9 with temps then f)

it will get very hot quick, ill try tomorrow. last time i did it with water it sounded like i put the kettle on

Is you oven induction too? Or do you have the option of using either induction or convection? Is convection the word that I want to use for regular electric?

Johnus said:
Is you oven induction too? Or do you have the option of using either induction or convection? Is convection the word that I want to use for regular electric?

I'm pretty sure you can't get induction ovens. You get electric, electric fan or gas ovens.

ive got one...a rangemaster 900mm induction cooker

first thing that happened...out of the 10 or so pans we had..quite expensive i may add...only 2 worked

le crueset work flawless....u need to take a magnet when purchasing pans....non magnetic ...it will not work

they fire up quickly and altho cool around the outside area...care still has to be taken..the boil factor is wierd...not constant more of a heat up...drop off...heat up drop off..very easy to keep clean...hob cleaner for any hard residue...but 9 outta 10 windowlene fluid and 5 seconds your done...other glass cleaners are less efficient

the oven is of course electric...would i get another...without a doubt

We had one once, lovely stove and THE best electric stove, hands down ... I think gas is superior though, if that's an option.

Johnus said:

Basically yes. Anything fan assisted is a convection oven, they rely on imparting more convective heat than regular ovens by using fans to force air movement. It means a lesser maximum temperature can be achieved but better consistent temperatures throughout.

I only have electric in my flat so opted for an induction hob as its the closest to to a gas hob for control and speed. It's really easy to clean and gets nowhere near as hot as a standard electric hob.

Only way to go if you only have electric, but gas would be my first choice, I believe gas to be much cheaper than electric.

balidey said:
Any idea on what is more fuel efficient over gas hob or induction?
My wife is spending a fortune on our new kitchen and would like to claw back some money if possible.

Gas is easily the cheapest optiion but induction is almost as efficient as gas in heat transference but you pay more for the hob, any pan upgrade and more for the fuel.

Thanks for your replies everyone, lots of food for thought there!

I hate cleaning my gas hob and unless you get the diffusers back on absolutely millimetre perfect it won't light again........

Some of my pots and pans are suitable for induction, in the last few years if I have bought any I have made sure they are induction compatible for just this eventuality.

I'll let you know when I've made my mind up!

mattlad said:
Thanks for your replies everyone, lots of food for thought there!

I hate cleaning my gas hob and unless you get the diffusers back on absolutely millimetre perfect it won't light again........

Some of my pots and pans are suitable for induction, in the last few years if I have bought any I have made sure they are induction compatible for just this eventuality.

I'll let you know when I've made my mind up!

if you hate cleaning your gas hob then electric is nice

as long as you keep the bottem of your pans clean and use a lid, you shouldnt need to scrub it, just the same as cleaning a glass board, just a quick wipe to clean

tend to use detol or sometimes mr muscle on it and side

Back
Top Bottom