Ingrown hairs

Hi All,

I've just had my second ingrown hair :(

Both times were on my neck. I don't notice them until they are lump by which time it's too late to sort them out as the body's defence system is kicking in pussing up the hair follicle - a quick painfull squeeze and the hair + other stuff pop's out. Joy.

So. . . . .

How can I stop getting them?

What's the best way to treat them should they occur?

I've watched Mantic's video and it doesn't really help.

My routine is pretty standard:
Shower
Hot water
Face lather MWF
W
X
A
Warm water wash
Cold water splash
Nivea ASB

I don't get any nicks or irritation.

I've fairly course straight whiskers.

Ta V M

Perhaps if that particular area is prone to ingrowns you need to make sure you don't shave too close. I'm pretty sure that can be the cause. Maybe stick to one pass on the neck, certainly for the time being. You could always see what happens after a few weeks if you are free of ingrowns for that time.

Take extra care with the neck line, soft twisty skin coupled with stiff bristle isn't a good combi.

Aspirin helps me with any breakout.

I only do WTG and XTG which provides a nice smooth shave, no danger of ingrowns that way, also I enjoy shaving so much now since I started DE, I shave everyday! so always BBS

I found that avoiding the against the grain pass on my neck prevented ingrowns. Basically ended up shaving with the grain and two oblique passes. Close shave but no irritation. The hairs can only really grow in if they are cut below the level of the skin with the hair slightly pulled out of the follicle as you shave. I couldn't get a closer shave trying to go directly against the grain but I would get some irritation and occasional ingrowns

BlkKnight said:
Hi All,

I've just had my second ingrown hair :(

Both times were on my neck. I don't notice them until they are lump by which time it's too late to sort them out as the body's defence system is kicking in pussing up the hair follicle - a quick painfull squeeze and the hair + other stuff pop's out. Joy.

So. . . . .

How can I stop getting them?

What's the best way to treat them should they occur?

I've watched Mantic's video and it doesn't really help.

My routine is pretty standard:
Shower
Hot water
Face lather MWF
W
X
A Not in offending area
Warm water wash
Alum
Cold water splash
Witch Hazel or AS lotion/splah
Nivea ASB

I don't get any nicks or irritation.

I've fairly course straight whiskers.

Ta V M

Try that.

In reference to Mantic's "How to maintain the neck for shaving" video, I found that the ingrowns have diminished after scrubbing down the face and neck before shaving. I usually do this in the shower with ordinary hair shampoo.

MWF is known for clogging up some peoples skin, maybe this could be partly to blame? Have you tried another soap?

/Max

antdad said:
I doubt MWF is anymore prone to "clogging" than any other soap whatever that may mean, a lanolin reaction is a different matter.

Everything that has already been said on this thread should guide you in the right direction, however, I would add that if you are prone to ingrown hairs, a hot towel paste on the neck area before lathering up will increase the skin temprature and force any ingrown hairs to the surface where they can be picked off with your fingers, rather than waiting until a lump appears and then squeezing it.

St. James of London do a hot towel paste, and it isn't expensive. Their shaving cream, Cedarwood & Clary Sage is a lot gentler than MWF as well, by the way. I would use the hot towel mask only a couple of times a week to begin with.

Here is the link

http://beautyatcreightons.com/engine/shop/product/SJ7004/St+James+of+London+100ml+Hot+Towel+Mask+Cedarwood+%26+Clarysage

Back
Top Bottom