Into the valley of death rode.....Soapalchemist!

Thanks Pigcat; I do believe from feedback even from my previous much slated endeavour that the skin care feel afterwards is one of the advantages of this kind of soap. Hopefully, with more hot water your experience would be better. However, I continue to tweek the basic recipe.
Boab, the amount of E.O. in a batch depends on the E.O.s used, as some are stonger than others, and some seem to fade to undetectable after a while. But 2 - 3% is a rough guide. Verbena (is that the same as lemon verbena - I haven't used it before?) is also very expensive. One ml of some E.O.s weighs more than 1g. So one 100g bar could potentially use approx. (very rough calculation as I work in weights, but buy the E.O. in mls) 4.5mls of essential oil.

Now I really do need a perfumer....Bay Rum indeed! Of course if anyone out there has an old sliver that they don't want any more and would be willing to trust it to Royal Mail, I'ld be happy to take it off their hands to at least have a sniff of the stuff, as I have never smelt it, so would be starting way behind in trying to replicate it.

No need to -- there's a healthy selection of 'scent suppliers' that have a bay rum fragrance oil (mix). My suppliers tells me he doesn't really want to order US fragrance oils, but he can supply a rum FO and a bay leaf FO, so I will probably be mixing something up, but with rum and bay leaf that shouldn't be too hard...

soapalchemist said:
Now I really do need a perfumer....Bay Rum indeed! Of course if anyone out there has an old sliver that they don't want any more and would be willing to trust it to Royal Mail, I'ld be happy to take it off their hands to at least have a sniff of the stuff, as I have never smelt it, so would be starting way behind in trying to replicate it.

For the love of my holy of holies, please don't include Ogallala in your research! :eek:

But yes, I too would love a really good Bay Rum scented soap. :hungrig

Henk, why would I want to pay for a Bay Rum fragrance oil that I wouldn't use?? Me being a purist and all. Although if you're getting some and you have any of those tiny vials handy, you could send me a tiny drop with a sample of your soap :)

Pigcat, I will try to remember to avoid Ogalla....although if you want to offload any of that, you know where I am....it would no doubt form a useful part of the educational process.

I haven't smelled Bay Rum but it always conjured up the image of pirates lol. I thought the bay was a reference to a bay where the ships would anchor :lol: while the rum bit was obvious arrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Bay leaf and Rum makes sense now but I much prefer my own take on it

ah well not too far off, now I am interested to find out how much lime you get through in the scent.

Hi, Soapal

I know you're not a pastry chef but couldn't you perhaps add a dash of vanilla essence to add a touch of sweetness to take the edge of the slightly stronger-scented soaps? Would love to know if there's a 'Fern' soap on the horizon? Roger & Gallet's Fern/Fougere (body) soap has a beautiful fresh fragrance that I'd like to see in a shave soap.

NA - you're getting way over ambitious for me!! What does a fern smell like anyway. You can't use vanilla essence (like the stuff you put in food) in this type of soap, but there are ways to get a vanilla scent including vanilla absolute, and some other essential oils. I'm working on that.
I only use essential oils, so am never going to compete with the laboratory created smell molecules used in most products.

soapalchemist said:
What does a fern smell like anyway.

Yes, I asked that question when I first came across Penhaligon's English Fern EDT. Apparently, fern on its own doesn't really have an identifiable scent, per say, other than the expected vegetal smell. I think 'Fern' is a 'Fougere'-type fragrance (if memory serves me right, Fougere is the French for fern)...errr...I think I'll bring the lecture to a halt right...here.

Out of interest, are you a full-time soapmaker, and do you have some sort of catalogue/website etc?

P.S. Did you find anything of interest at Hollingsworths in Brum?

I seem to remember someone being all poetic on that daft basenotes site saying that Fern smelled like Green :roll: .So there you have it.Get some green essential oil, instant fern.

Back
Top Bottom