Ipad v ipad mini

Evening guys,

Probably nice easy question. Looking at getting an ipad as an early Xmas pressie and have been looking at the ipad and the ipad mini. Other than the obvious (price and extra couple of inch) what would make me chose the bigger one over mini?

Not fussed about going down the android route so please don't say get the samsung whatever ;)

Thanks in advance,
Dave

I switched from an ipad 2 to an ipad mini a while back, and haven't regretted it. Considering the screen is maybe an inch or so smaller on the mini, the actual device is about 60% of the size and half the weight (although I haven't handled an ipad air much yet). For me the mini is much more portable and usable, plus the lower weight means it's comfort to use for long periods. I use it for notes and emails when I'm travelling for work too, saves lugging around my laptop.

I'm not going to recommend an Android as you don't want one. I have a Nexus 10 and a Nexus 7 which are comparable to the Ipad and ipad mini respectively. For me the smaller device is a lot more portable and easier to handle. I really don't notice that the screen is smaller. Personally I would opt for the smaller one as you will probably take it with you more and thus use it more.

some price reductions today-only at the apple store if you have decided what you want.

Was making the same deliberations myself at the weekend. After handling a mini for a while, the full sized ipads just seemed way too big. I was also comparing the mini to the retina mini. The difference is noticeable if you use them side-to-side but it is marginal on a screen that size. Not sure it is worth the extra. Having said that, Apple are only stocking the 16GB version of the original mini so if you want more storage you may have to look elsewhere (currys have some good prices at the moment too)

Nexus 7 looks good too but the mini screen proportions seemed better.

I went from an iPad to iPad mini and love it. Much more portable and the weight makes a big difference for me. I do love the air, but it's just not what I need right now. If it was staying in the house I would the air, for out and about the mini.

It totally depends on your needs. If you use it mostly at home, I suggest you choose iPad or iPad Air, their screens are bigger than mini, so work with them will be more comportable. If you would like to use it outside or on your road, then you'd better select mini. It is smaller and lighter than iPad, and it will be more convenient for you to take it out. Both of them will meet your requirements such as checking emails, searching online, doing some works, watch videos, you also can play dvd on iPad with the help of some software. So you can go ahead to chooseone of them.

Agreed, I need to have a think on how/where I'll be using it. Probably mostly at home but work is changing so may need to use it out on the road. I was originally thinking going for a linked plan through mobile provider but the costs are extortionate for the air, reasonable for mini but I think I will just go down the route of buying one outright and tethering it to my phone!

Back
Top Bottom