Iridium Super Extra Stainless

[attachment=0]

I first experienced these blades as part of a sampler I bought from Paul at Connaught. I liked them a lot and went back for more. I find they are a very sharp blade and every bit as good as the Kai blades I recently reviewed.

The blades come in a cardboard outer and are double paper wrapped and held in place with the small glue spots. So far I have never had one of these where the glue spots annoy me because it has got onto the cutting edge. I had a pack of Silver Blues and in one pack ever single blade had a big dollop of glue that was on the cutting edge, It was only the one box and it is not a show stopper just an annoyance. But with these I have never had that problem.

Not the cheapest blade but I do think they are worth it. They fight for place in my rotation with the Kai’s and Silver Blues and they hold their own with any other DE blade I own.

Would I buy more, Yes absolutely I have a few hundred of these and they are a good solid performing blade that I think should be tried.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.connaughtshaving.com/iridiumsuper.html">http://www.connaughtshaving.com/iridiumsuper.html</a><!-- m -->

Attachments

• Iridium.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 1,315
Nice review Audio, I love these blades. They were available at about £28 per 250 on the SMF forum a couple of months ago and so I stocked up.

Pete

On the demise of Swedes I have turned to Feathers, Iridiums and 7 O'Clocks (Yellow).

I have ranged them in ascending order of perference, so I like the Iridiums but prefer the 7 O'Clocks.

I use them in a Slant - I have a tough white beard.

The offer is a good price. I am still testing them against the 7 O'Clocks in the yellow wrappers. At the moment the & o'Clocks have the edge (ouch!).

Now if Paul were to make those available at bulk prices . . .

Labarum said:
Now if Paul were to make those available at bulk prices . . .

I believe he just has just posted a Gillette Yellow offer on the Vendor BST.

Magic let me know if you need any more Super's they are top ranking.

Thanks to Pete I have a pack of these blades to try out. During the month of August I have been using my Gillette New a razor which, when I tried it before, I detested. A little patience goes a long way though and I've been getting some great shaves with it. Prior to this mornings test I had just had 4 great shaves from 1 Feather blade so the iridium has a lot to live up to.

Ok so as mentioned I'm using the New, the rest of my gear is the Omega '49 brush and T&H Trafalgar SC.
Afrer whipping up my lather (which smells divine btw) I apply to the face. I don't normally use the '49 with creams and the lather is a tad 'wetter' than usual. It's perfectly usable but perhaps a bit less protective - nice and slick though.

The first pass was reasonable; no tugging, a little extra care needed around the tough chin area. So far it feels like a Kai or Astra blade - this is no bad thing.

The second pass was, as expected, easier again. No problems reducing the stubble; quite comfortable.

The last pass is neck area only; using light pessure and plenty of slick lather it goes without any problems.

I perform a touch up around a couple of areas on the neck (this is often required) and we're done. A warm rinse, a splash of cold water and it's time to apply the alum test. Hmmm. No sting at all, not even a little tingle.

At this point the shave feels close and comfortable.

After rinsing the alum off I go for Trafalgar A/S and Cologne (I smell gorgeous by now :) ) but I like to review after my face has recovered fom the experience.

I'm sitting in the office now (when I should be working) and my face feels good; smooth and irritaton free.

This blade could be keeper; let's see how the rest of the week's shaves go eh?

OK here we are for day 2.

I kept the hardware the same as yesterday but face lathered with Cella instead.

The shave was good however I felt a little drag particulalry around the chin; I managed to give myself a tiny little nick on the chin - always a possibility with the New I find though.

After the warm/cold rinse I applied alum and there was a definite sting and a touch of irritation on the trouble spot on my neck. Nothing major or out of the ordinary.

I finished with a splash of Proraso and a touch of Proraso balm on the trouble spot.

Sitting at my desk the shave feels close and my skin smooth.

Not bad at all; tomorrow will be the real test - can the iridium deliver 3 good shaves?

Rik.

Not sure about these.

I've read that they are the next best thing to Swedes (my favourite) but I don't find them to be. I had a really rough shave with one the other day, first rough shave in a good while.

Maybe the quality control isn't all that, will try again (I have a 5 blade sample pack).

I remember the Gillette Yellows being smoother, want to try them again.

Back
Top Bottom