Is a change as good as a rest with blades?

Up until November of last year I was shaving exclusively with Gillette Yellows.

Then the really cold weather came and they did not seem to deliver as smooth a shave as they did before and so I decided to give Gillette Super Thins a go. They were great at first but after using about 4 or 5 blades that niggling lack of smoothness came back.

I then switched to some of the old Gillette Bleue Extra and the first shave with one was a delight, it gave me a really close shave and felt like there wasn't a blade in the razor. However, after 5 blades or so the lack of smoothness came back, so I switched to a Super Iridium and the lovely smooth shave came back.

All the while I have only been using two razors, a Slim and a Fatboy and I only use 3 soaps, so there isn't too much variation in the other factors.

From the above I am beginning to think that sticking with one type of razor blade is not good for my skin, as it soon gets used to it and then the quality of the shave deteriorates. The funny thing is though I did not experience this when the weather was warmer. I wonder what will happen when Spring arrives, will I be able to shave with just one kind of blade again?

Try a stiffer blade like a Gillette Bleue blade..they have no flex and you feel where they go on the contours of your face

B

Blades said:
Try a stiffer blade like a Gillette Bleue blade..they have no flex and you feel where they go on the contours of your face

B

I think he did
Adam D said:
I then switched to some of the old Gillette Bleue Extra and the first shave with one was a delight, it gave me a really close shave and felt like there wasn't a blade in the razor. However, after 5 blades or so the lack of smoothness came back, so I switched to a Super Iridium and the lovely smooth shave came back.

Is a change as good as a rest? I think so. It's probably purely psychological, but a change seems to feel like a positive move, and I think that's what you're feeling here.
I don't think your skin gets used to the blade or that shaves deteriorate, I think it's more likely that because of familiarity you don't appreciate the blade after a while.. when you switch to a new one you're concentrating on what it feels like so you're evaluating, critiquing, summing up the new metal.

Just my guess anyway, may be total bullworks but it's a theory!

Change is always good - especially when you've settled on a rotation of, say, two or three blades that you know won't irritate. For me it's Gillette Bleue and Platinum Super+. It's been so long since I tried a Derby I might even throw one of those into the HD soon. And I've been meaning to try the Gillette Sharp Edge blades since I've read so many good reviews about them. Will let you know how the Derby's shape up - three years ago when I started DE shaving, they killed me!

Today I decided to try a blade I have used early in my days of getting back into DE shaving. I put a feather in Kev's Horrwitz Slant. All I can say is never, ever again..........I should have just stuck to my Bleues, I had so many nicks and scrapes that I had to use ASB and a lot of Alum to stem the blood loss.... :?
So for me I stick to a few blades that I know work for me ......... :D
Have to admit a very close shave, too damn close........... :cry:

My mistake..long day!... :shock:

pedro083 said:
Blades said:

B

I think he did
Adam D said:

I use a different blade every day.

Four razors in my rotation loaded with different blades - usually my three regular blades and one 'guest' blade that I haven't tried.

I have pondered this question myself on several occasions and came to the conclusion that it was boredom with the same routine that had me changing blades,razor,brush etc,.
This is just my opinion,other fine opinions are also available.

Dave.

I much prefer a bit of variety on a pretty regular basis.
I like to change blade/razor/soap/brush-/aftersahave often, not in search of the ultimate shave, but more on a whim than anything else.
One thing I have noticed though is that my choice of aftershave is often determined by the mood Im in or where Im going on the day :? :?
regards, beejay

I like to change blades. What I usually do is take 5 blades from 1 pack, and put them in with another pack of 5 but alternately. I usually keep a few old blade trays for this purpose. At the moment I have 5 Wilkinson Sword Classic blades alternating with 5 Dorco 301/Superdrug. When I get to the last 5 of these, I will then slide 5 '365' blades in alternate places with the other 5 to get variety. Then when I reach the last 5 of those, I'll slide in another 5 from another brand in alternate layers and so on.

Back
Top Bottom