Is qaulity of DE blades better then the past

So yesterday I visted an old family member born in 1933 I talked about that I had been classic shaving.

On thing he told me, he needed those the blade away after shaving, so he said it wasnt as cheap as I think it was in the paste, even though you would get 100 blades for 1 gulden at the Hema.

So is it true, where the blades not as good in the past as today? I see old blades are sold for quite some money.

Depends on the blade. I tried quite a few carbon steel blades (generally pre-1960s, black) and they have mostly been tuggy, prone to rusting and not very sharp but could be sharpened or stropped if you had the inclination. From the 1960s through to the 80s there seemed to be some really good blades - stainless steel, different types of coating for smoothness and longevity - then attention had turned to cartridges.

NotTheStig said:
Depends on the blade. I tried quite a few carbon steel blades (generally pre-1960s, black) and they have mostly been tuggy, prone to rusting and not very sharp but could be sharpened or stropped if you had the inclination. From the 1960s through to the 80s there seemed to be some really good blades - stainless steel, different types of coating for smoothness and longevity - then attention had turned to cartridges.

I love the pre-2000 Gillette Bleue Extras (in the plastic dispenser), and have little experience with blades any older than that, but it does seem to be a general experience on here that blades from the '70s and '80s were superb.

Depends how far you go back, I think the 70's onwards seems to have produced generally good blades but very old ones were surely made on inferior equipment? I dunno, just guessing. I'd wager that all these computer controlled honing machines must have been worth the investment otherwise we'd still be using 1930s technology.

Marvin might have a worthwhile view on this, he loves all that old rusty metal.

The German made WS Classic blades are not as good as the older English made ones from years ago. Also, the Personna ones you can get in ASDA could be better.

I found my grandfather's stuff, he had a number of blades. 99% Carbon, either blue or black. If they have no rust you can get an outstanding shave, but only once or twice. Maybe better quality control but the blade went down hill fast after exposed to water and air.
As for modern blades, I would agree the technology from 70s was the best. You now have to find a maker who still uses all the innovation from that era. Some say Feather is the only one.

I think its back to the origins, few shaves from a blade, good prep and a quality soap or cream to compliment the blades.

The stainless blades of the 1960s and early 1970s are in my opinion, and based on what I have tested, better than current blades. That was because they were the profit maker for companies and fierce competition between brands existed. Product ads were as prevalent for DEs in that day as Gillette Fusions and Wilkinson Quattros are today. When the DE blade was no longer the highest profit margin item, less development and a make it good enough but not excellent set in and quality declined.

I first started shaving in the late 60s using a DE razor. At that time you had a choice of the old blue steel or the newer stainless steel. I recall the SS blades were quite a bit more expensive, but a far better shave and they lasted 3 or 4 times as long. I also have a vague recollection that the price of the blue steel blades actually dropped for a while after the introduction of SS.
However when the first twin blades came out they were a step forward again and, at the time, I felt I was getting smoother shaves from them, they lasted even longer than the stainless steel DE blade and reduced the number of nicks.
There was certainly a mass exodus to twin blade shaving at the time which IMO wasn't entirely marketing driven.

Since returning to DE shaving I have to say that the quality of blades I use has been almost without exception very high and we now have the benefits of modern coatings and technology.

On the other side of the coin the multi blade industry has gone crazy. I'm sure that the 5 & 6 blade razors will do the job, but at a price.

My father thought I was crazy when I first pulled out a DE. His opinion was that the blades tugged and he was a mess of cuts after shaving growing up with them.

His father (and my grandfather on my Mum's side too) was one of those lucky people with good skin for shaving. Always cleanly shaven, never any irritation and never a bit of stubble even late in the evenings

I started shaving in the late 50's and we had to use whatever blades were available locally......Gillettes, wilkinson sword and Jewel. I used to pinch them off my dear old Dad.... I don't recall them being wonderful blades shave quality wise, I got nicks and a sore face, but then it was more a case of getting shut of the whiskers, as quickly as possible,so I was ready for work...The quality of shave in those days didn't really enter into it for me.....It was all to do with speed and looking reasonably presentable for the office...

Today. Well we're spoiled for choice, pampered even...And I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Canuck said:
Marvin might have a worthwhile view on this, he loves all that old rusty metal.

Well it's true, I do like many of the old blades with crumbling edges. The more rust the better. Of course I have regular tetanus shots to compensate for all the lethal germs, and luckily haven't gotten lockjaw yet.

Vintage stainless steel blades are like the current ones, in that some are better than others. There's a wide variation, and most I've used are at least pretty good. Some are very good, and a few are magical and those are equal to or better than any modern blades I've tried.

Marvin

hunnymonster said:
GOLDCREST said:
I started shaving in the late 50's and we had to use whatever blades were available locally......Gillettes, wilkinson sword and Jewel.

We know someone who went big on Jewel blades don't we? :mad: (looking at nobody in particular)

You don't mean????....He who shall be nameless but makes pretty good Bay Rum..:angel:

Back
Top Bottom