Is that right?

NTS sent me a Polsilver Super Iridium blade along with a few others to try. So I tried it this morning and like it a lot - close, smooth and comfortable. So I went on line to buy a few but couldn't find any. Then a man on ebay says they are out of production (but his Polsilver Super Stainless are just as good - also out of production).

Is that right? Polsilver Super Iridium blades are no longer available? I casually used an excellent, recently vintaged blade without thought? Sheesh!

Are there any sources of this blade? TSR private hoards are absolutely acceptable!

Its hard to keep up with the coming's and going's of these blades , all I know for sure is I grabbed 100 Polisilvers and 250 Super Iridiums from Emilio last year when he had them , I haven't heard from him for awhile , so I don't know if his source has dried up , but , he was a cracking source for these blade's
Derrick

P.S. just Google'd them and still plenty for sale of the P.S.I.'s you are after

Aye! in the States there are. Ebay here are offering the brown package Polsilver, which are not Super Iridium , afaIk.

However, seems Polsilver Super Iridium blades are one and the same as Super Iridium, just a packaging difference. I have a stock of Super Iridium.

Bechet45 said:
Aye! in the States there are. Ebay here are offering the brown package Polsilver, which are not Super Iridium , afaIk.

However, seems Polsilver Super Iridium blades are one and the same as Super Iridium, just a packaging difference. I have a stock of Super Iridium.

Brown pack Polsilvers are superb blades - if you haven't got any, you ought to.

NTS - you're going to have me trying more blades thanks to your spreadsheet! :p

You seem to rate them very high, which means I'll need to get hold of some! :)

We are variously talking about three different wrappers - or at least, I am.

Here are two of them - (photo from B&B)
images
and Bullgoose Shaving tells us here that these are the same blades, same factory just older and newer wrappers.

On the spreadsheet these are called 55. Brand: Iridium Product: Super and scored 12 and 81. Brand: Polsilver Product: Stainless (inspite of it saying Super Iridium on the wrapper) and scored 20 (these are the blades I shaved with this morning).

At 82. on the spreadsheet we have Brand: Polsilver Product: Super Iridium (though it says Stainless Blades on the wrapper) and scored 15. On ebay these are described as Polsilver Wizamet Stainless Double Edge Razor Blades Gillette Super Iridium - though it says Stainless on the wrapper.

I'm going to stick with No. 55. Iridium Supers because I have some in stock and I think them better than a 12 - and I've bought 50 No. 82 brown wrapper Polsilver Stainless (according to the wrapper) because Chris says they are good.

That's how I made it too. I had discounted them because they were marked as not being in production, I filter those out. However if they're available at 'in production' prices then I have to add them to the list of things to try.

I suspect though that I won't find anything sharper than a feather. However I hope once I've shaved with a feather for a few months my technique will be such that I won't have to rely on it's sharpness and can consider blades that are not quite so sharp but perhaps better in other ways.

Halk said:
I suspect though that I won't find anything sharper than a feather. However I hope once I've shaved with a feather for a few months my technique will be such that I won't have to rely on it's sharpness and can consider blades that are not quite so sharp but perhaps better in other ways.

I suspect that Feathers are the sharpest DE blades but not necessarily the most comfortable. I won't use them except in a Feather razor. Rapira Swedish SuperSteel are most excellent - sharp and comfortable - for me, anyway.

I bought everything 18 and above from NTS's spreadsheet and all were good and comfortable.

I seem to get less irritation from feathers than I do from any other blade. I believe that's because with other blades I can't get through my stubble so easily so I have to do more passes.

I have stubble like copper wire :p

chrisbell said:
Brown pack Polsilvers are superb blades - if you haven't got any, you ought to.

Ah yes.

Those are the original Polsilvers I remember from a few years ago.

Very frustrating to get sample packs from Paul at Connaught shaving, discovering six brilliant blades and then finding out they are out of production. One of the reasons I never really got so 'into' the whole DE thing.

Fair dues, there are a few decent blades available now, but some of those old ones really were as good as you're ever likely to find.

Back
Top Bottom