Is there anything so hateful....

Every time this thread pops up it remind me that, having just moved to somewhere with actually enough bookshelves, I now have to sort into a sensible order 23 crates of books.

In answer to the original question . . . yes. Batch scanning (awkwardly) several thousand negatives and slides over the course of six months and within days of completing the job knocking over the hard drive they were on and losing the lot.

That's hateful.

On the upside, I've ripped 2,000+ CDs as .wav's so - barring disasters(!) - I shouldn't need to repeat the process. That takes up a bit of space, but not as much as the 500+ full quality DVD rips stored on a NAS. And yes, that took a long time, too.

P.S. I back up now. Don't go there.

I actually enjoyed ripping my CD's to computer,It took me months, but it appeals to my brains tidy side..The only downside is, When you've finished, you don't want to listen to any of it for quite a while afterwards...
I'm still working on my photographs', I have even more of those than I have CD's, and most of the older ones need tweaking for colour, sharpness etc...so that is a bit of a marathon....far more accessible though, everything in categories, so I can go instantly to what I want to look at....
Now all backed up of course, I learned that the hard way. All the scanned family photo's from as far back as the late 1800's all lost when my old computer self destructed...Its very annoying having to start all over again...and I've still not caught up..

I always wonder what's more reliable, in general use - DVD, flash memory or conventional hard disk? My hard disk has a lot of DVDs' content and gets used a lot more.
I find that optical drives tend to last only a couple of years at best.

Back
Top Bottom