Is this an unbranded Simpson?

Following on from my post earlier today in Acquisitions, I'm intrigued as to the heritage of this fine little brush. Looking at the specs on the Simpson Fifty series here , I'm convinced that this is a Simpson 55, yet it has no branding whatsoever.

Do or did Simpson ever produce unbranded brushes? Your thoughts please, gentlemen.

Here it is post-bloom after a few test latherings:
pb100946.jpg

And next to my Colonel. Same gene pool?
pb100944.jpg

I was wondering the same thing myself from that very auction, decided it wasn't so didn't bid although the quality of the knot/hair did look convincing.

Francorelli said:
Following on from my post earlier today in Acquisitions, I'm intrigued as to the heritage of this fine little brush. Looking at the specs on the Simpson Fifty series here , I'm convinced that this is a Simpson 55, yet it has no branding whatsoever.

Do or did Simpson ever produce unbranded brushes? Your thoughts please, gentlemen.

Here it is post-bloom after a few test latherings:
pb100946.jpg

And next to my Colonel. Same gene pool?
pb100944.jpg

We used to produce brushes without Simpson branding showing but with specific customers logos/names stamped (eg. Floris, Trumper, Brooks Brothers, etc).

Would be good to see a couple of more shots of the handle - especially the base.

Gary

Gary Young said:
We used to produce brushes without Simpson branding showing but with specific customers logos/names stamped (eg. Floris, Trumper, Brooks Brothers, etc).

Would be good to see a couple of more shots of the handle - especially the base.

Gary

Many thanks for your reply Gary. I will take some more photos - it would be good to hear your verdict.

Merkur said:
Either way, its a nice looking brush. How does it perform compared to your actual simpsons?

Nicely. I used it this morning actually. It's a smaller and slightly less dense knot compared to the Colonel, so it feels different on the face. It lathers up well and doesn't hog the good stuff either. Regardless of who made it, it's a great little brush and a useful addition to my burgeoning badger army :icon_smile: .

Francorelli said:
Merkur said:
Either way, its a nice looking brush. How does it perform compared to your actual simpsons?

Nicely. I used it this morning actually. It's a smaller and slightly less dense knot compared to the Colonel, so it feels different on the face. It lathers up well and doesn't hog the good stuff either. Regardless of who made it, it's a great little brush and a useful addition to my burgeoning badger army :icon_smile: .

Sounds like a nice find, well done!

Back
Top Bottom