It's all Bill Oddies fault!

You guys never heard of Roadkill ? After I've sold the deceased brocks innards for ferret food there's always plenty of natural packaging the food came in for recycling. Tell the lad that you're just doing your best to avoid wastage.

JohnnyO. \:dodgy:

Thanks guys for all the input. Hax, you provide a robust argument, but I don't think it'll stand up in a court of seven-year-old-boy. I really will never hear the end of it. ;-) I'm going to spend my lunchtime researching the horse hair brushes and see if I can determine what Taylor's imitation badger brush is actually made of. Thanks again.

Ok, after (a, err somewhat early lunch, brunch?) much soul searching and a little menu searching there's no getting past Urban Hermit's ecological argument, though the economics of a less than 10 quid horse hair brush was no small help ;-) It's got to be better than my 50p Wilko's finest so I'm kind of optimistic! I ordered a Vie-Long 12705 if I hate it it wont be too great a loss at the price. Though when I say I've ordered, the response from the site was in Spanish (probably) so I'm only mostly certain that I've ordered it.

Badgers are horrible things anyway - the stink to high heaven and spread diseases about. I can't understand why anyone would want to defend these vile specimens who most people never see anyway because they only come out at night to spread infections about.

hoodlight said:
Badgers are horrible things anyway - the stink to high heaven and spread diseases about. I can't understand why anyone would want to defend these vile specimens who most people never see anyway because they only come out at night to spread infections about.

With their twitchy noses and their bushy tails, damn them!! Oh, no, that's err, squirrels isn't it.

ecoshaver said:
My current Wilko 50p special is prickly and it precludes face lathering, I get stubble rash :-(

I know Taylor's do an immitation badger brush which isn't synthetic but nor does it involve the untimely demise of Mr Badger. However, I am unable to determine what the hair actually is, it could be cat for all I know and their fully synthetic brush is outrageously expensive.

50p? There's your problem. Buy a Semogue or Omega.

Boar is often called imitation badger because they dye a band in it to, er...imitate badger.

The Chinese do indeed eat anything. It's a big country and there's lots of people in it to feed. Bugs and chicken feet are on the menu. Word is, the badger there are feral, dangerous and a significant pest and problem. So they eat it. Just like we eat Kangaroos for the same reason. Just google images of badgers and tell me you'd try and shave one of those bastards. No wind in the willows polite pommie badgers there.

So they're going to kill badgers anyway. But they have a lucrative by product industry. So some would argue an Bill Oddieness is misguided if they think it will reduce a demand for the hair.

Well I'm not so sure those pommie badgers are really that polite at all. :-D
I'm sure they'd set about Mr Oddie in a moment, if he looked like he was getting in their way. It's my primary reason for having watched the show ;-)

It's not really the badgers ideas of the finer points of social etiquette that I'm basing my brush selection on though. :)
I mean if I can manage to get a nice lather without anyone expertly dispatching some animal, then I'd like to give it a go first off. So, I'm trying a bit of horse, and we'll see how that goes.

In terms of immitation brushes, I'm open to any suggestions, but I'm quite keen on knowing what's in there rather than being left to guess, as in the Taylor's brush. It's a pity they don't mention which animals are involved I expect that's their
business advantage.

I think we've all got to select which activities we support in a modern global market for ourselves. Sure that support might be secondary in nature but it doesn't entirely mean we're not involved. I personally find it hard to be certain where to draw,
the line so I've stepped back a bit from it, but I'm still happy to eat animals, at least the more delicious ones. And there are plenty of people who can provide a robust arguement against that.

PS Don't know if I'd put kangaroo on the delicious side of thing, though I'm told it's a skill to cook it right so I might have been unlucky previously ;-)

Drubbing said:
Roo is very tasty, if it wasn't people wouldn't eat it. Very low in fat and high in protein. Quite gamey, not unlike Venison. Med-rare to Med is how its cooked otherwise it toughens up.

After my last experience eating Kangaroo, I'd assumed people ate it for a dare ;-)
Next time I see it I'll give it a try medium rare.

ecoshaver said:
Drubbing said:
Roo is very tasty, if it wasn't people wouldn't eat it. Very low in fat and high in protein. Quite gamey, not unlike Venison. Med-rare to Med is how its cooked otherwise it toughens up.

After my last experience eating Kangaroo, I'd assumed people ate it for a dare ;-)
Next time I see it I'll give it a try medium rare.

You can even get Kangaroo beer.

I've heard it's very hoppy. :s :blush: :angel:

I'll get my Coate's..........

I'd almost forgotten about this thread, but my horse brush has finally arrived!
(I'd also forgotten about the Kangaroo beer joke <shudder> :-D )
Well I've given it a shampooing and lathered it up a few times, but it lost a lot of bristles. I mean we're talking dozens not just a few.
(it made a lot of very firm lather incidentally)
Does this sound about right?
Also, during the first couple of lathers , the lather was clearly quite brown, it wasn't until the third one that it started to whiten up!

Well it only lost 1 bristle today. It's a nice brush in comparison to my 50p nylon thing,
It does make a phenomenal amount of lather and it's thick stuff too. I ended up washing a lot of lather down the plug hole when I've finished which kind of made me sad :-(
I would say, however, that I think the bristles are a bit too long. It's more than 20mnm taller than my previous brush which I always found a little small so it's certainly a matter of getting used to it. I found myself holding the bristles rather than the handle to keep it under control, still managed to get lather in my ears! :-D
It isn't entirely prickle free however, but the prickles are only occasional.
Still smells horsey though. One question I have regarding natural bristle brushes, is about drying. It dries ok now between shaves but will it do so during the winter is the question? Would it be better if I kept it in the airing cupboard or sat it on a radiator?

man of leisure said:
Just a quick thought, why not buy Badger brush off BST then you are now recycling.
Regards,
Pete

My aim was to try out a brush which had a non lethal production method and I couldn't find anyone willing to try and shave a badger ;-)

Back
Top Bottom