It's just one of those days...

D

Deleted member 1045

It's just one of those days I really need a shave, but I can't be arsed. How many men here go through that feeling? I got some good kit but just don't want to stand in the bathroom. Got to shave tomorrow morning (wait today morning!) but just dreading it. :/

Anyone had a good shave in the last 10-15 hours? My last one was a bit painful and I'm scared of shaving again, haha! Let's hope I don't end up a barbarian!

Sounds like you're having some problems with your shave if the last one involved any pain.. break it down for us and let us try to weedle out what was at fault. If there's pain you're probably shaving too hard, either too much pressure or too many passes, or both. :icon_sad:

I had a nice shave just 1 hour ago. Hot shower, Godrej lime cream, Merkur 34C, a new 7 o'clock yellow. 2 passes, and finished with Ogalalla lime splash and a Crabtree and Evelyn WI lime cologne. Summery fresh. :angel:

Get that technique down and it's something to look forward to, not something to avoid. Hopefully we can help out.

Don't worry, a bit of pain never hurt anyone!:-/

I've found if I've had a bad shave one day I tend to have a good think about what went wrong, and take my time when I have my next shave, it generally tends to be a good one.

Canuck said:
Sounds like you're having some problems with your shave if the last one involved any pain.. break it down for us and let us try to weedle out what was at fault. If there's pain you're probably shaving too hard, either too much pressure or too many passes, or both. :icon_sad:

I had a nice shave just 1 hour ago. Hot shower, Godrej lime cream, Merkur 34C, a new 7 o'clock yellow. 2 passes, and finished with Ogalalla lime splash and a Crabtree and Evelyn WI lime cologne. Summery fresh. :angel:

Get that technique down and it's something to look forward to, not something to avoid. Hopefully we can help out.

Just had another painful shave! I think i'm going backwards in terms of technique! did 3 passes then a pass or two on selective rough areas. I'm doing 1 pass top to bottom of face. 2nd pass left to right both of face and throat. And then right to left. I'm finding the sideburns particularly hard to shave these last week. It feels like the hairs are coming out perpendicular to the surface of the skin whereas before it was coming out straight down. Can grain directions change due to poor technique? :O.

"did 3 passes then a pass or two...."

It's probably too much for daily shaving in my opinion. I only do 2 (1 with the grain, one across) and that's plenty. I think you're probably aiming for baby smooth every day which is bound to irritate. Try stripping back to basics, go for comfort over anything else: Use a soap, a razor and a blade that have been reliable and comfortable in the past, 2 passes only, nice and light, and see where you are.

It should feel fairly smooth after 2 passes... I only do a 3 pass on a Saturday when I have bags of time.

If I ever have a bit of a sore face after shaving, I usually know why.

Things that are just essential to me are:
-Must soften beard in hot shower first
-Lather, any variation in lather transfers directly to my shave. And there is always a little variation
-Pressure. If I am stressed, I tend to not pay attention to the pressure, and then it goes all wrong

I'm generally not considered a patient person, and I agree, but on days when I shave really slowly, it actually ends up being faster.

In short, make sure your prep and lather is OK, then shave slowly and deliberately.

/Max

mstrunck said:
If I ever have a bit of a sore face after shaving, I usually know why.

Things that are just essential to me are:
-Must soften beard in hot shower first
-Lather, any variation in lather transfers directly to my shave. And there is always a little variation
-Pressure. If I am stressed, I tend to not pay attention to the pressure, and then it goes all wrong

I'm generally not considered a patient person, and I agree, but on days when I shave really slowly, it actually ends up being faster.

In short, make sure your prep and lather is OK, then shave slowly and deliberately.

/Max

I'm much the same.

If I've shaved too close and irritated my skin, the next day I do three passes. One WTG and two that are half way between WTG and XTG; one in each direction. ie one at +45deg and one at -45deg. Hope I've explained it ok.

By no means BBS, but if I shave in the morning it's enough to get me through the working day, and no skin irritation.

Also some soaps and creams cause me extreme irritation. After one pass I would say verging on pain. It may be worth trying something different.

I find Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera soap and cream causes no irritation, and also Tabac. However some people can't stand Tabac so its down to personal skin type. There are some highly respected products that make shaving nearly unbearable for me because of the irritation.

The small pucks of Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera aren't expensive and I recommend picking one up.

If you go to The English Shaving Company, use the code vc1511 and you'll get 15% off Edwin Jagger products :)

Hope this helps

Very rarely go more than two passes and then the odd touch up. Shave most days and sometimes twice a day, but refuse to go for BBS if it means having 876 passes at it...

Once upon a time, a shave was a necessity. Then I set up my own business and I went for the occasional shaved look (because I was the boss and I could). Then I retired and sometimes went for days (or even a couple of weeks) without shaving. The photo on my bus pass bears testament to that. ;-)

Now I shave every day, and take my time over it.... just because I like the ritual.

Rod

Discover the grain of your beard.

Hot water on face in one form or another.
Lather.
Shave with the grain.
Hot water on the face.
Lather.
Shave with the grain.
Cold water on the face.
Alum.
Wait.
Cold water on the face.
Witch hazel.
End.

To be honest 'dreading' and 'scared' aren't emotions I'd be wanting every time I needed to shave. I don't want to sound defeatist, but maybe this way of shaving isn't for you. How have your experiences with cartridge and electric razors been?

Kudos for your persistence. I don't think I could be so patient.

Thanks to all your advice and the voucher code guys :). I shave once every two days. Yup shave count has gone down unfortunately! I'm still having problems finding the right blade for me. I remember having a good shave with a derby, shark super chrome and nothing else. I'm currently on shark stainless and it seems to be leaving a surface later of sideburn and beard and some parts of the throat on until I go against the grain.

I have to admit, I have been trying to shave slightly too fast and that may be the reason i'm getting too much razor burn, but I saw a guy do it on youtube and he was quoting mantic so I thought - what the heck. That man is committing shaving blasphemy! :icon_rolleyes:[/align]

new2DE said:
I have to admit, I have been trying to shave slightly too fast and that may be the reason i'm getting too much razor burn, but I saw a guy do it on youtube and he was quoting mantic so I thought - what the heck.

Why on earth would you try to copy someone shaving at high speed when you haven't even been able to get a comfortable shave at your own speed?

Seriously, take your time - it's not a race. Just like many people can't have a three pass shave on a daily basis, many can't shave at high speed either.

You've mentioned the blades that you've tried. What razor are you using?

Hax said:
new2DE said:
I have to admit, I have been trying to shave slightly too fast and that may be the reason i'm getting too much razor burn, but I saw a guy do it on youtube and he was quoting mantic so I thought - what the heck.

Why on earth would you try to copy someone shaving at high speed when you haven't even been able to get a comfortable shave at your own speed?

Seriously, take your time - it's not a race. Just like many people can't have a three pass shave on a daily basis, many can't shave at high speed either.

You've mentioned the blades that you've tried. What razor are you using?

EJ DE89 with barley handle. It's a passive razor compared to the random other one I have and don't know the name of, but I just have a terrible technique!

new2DE said:
EJ DE89 with barley handle. It's a passive razor compared to the random other one I have and don't know the name of, but I just have a terrible technique!

Yes, that is a passive razor - I have the EJ87 which shares the same head and it's the razor I turn to on the odd occasion when I have managed to tear my face up on a previous shave...

Just a thought (and not meaning to sound rude) but are you 100% sure that you've put the head back the right way when fitting the blade? I have seen images on the net of people who have put the baseplate on upside-down...

Hax said:
Just a thought (and not meaning to sound rude) but are you 100% sure that you've put the head back the right way when fitting the blade? I have seen images on the net of people who have put the baseplate on upside-down...

I put it together the way it came to me. With the dimpled bottome plate against the blade. Is that correct? I have major issues with the throat. in the long, thing dent/groove on either side of the adams apple i get razor burn every time. What are the best tips for this area? I've tried pulling the skin but i still get the burn, particularly on the right hand side!

Back
Top Bottom