It's not my birthday...

It's not my birthday for a couple of weeks, but it may as well be with the arrival of my no.18 Plisson 200 Years Special Edition! I spotted it at 1barber.be about a month ago and decided life wouldn't be complete without it (and with a birthday on the horizon I was able to justify the outrageous cost!) Now do I use it or just drool over it .... ? :lol: Keen to know which other members have one and their opinions on it. Now for the pics:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    361 bytes · Views: 157
  • 2.jpg
    361 bytes · Views: 156
  • Screen shot 2011-03-03 at 1.44.38 PM.png
    361 bytes · Views: 157
Not cheap, another 119 Euros on top of the size 20 HMW Horn. I seen them on the Plisson site and while I am a sucker for special editions on this occasion I could not justify it.

Ben, how do you find the Size 20? I have a 12 HMW and I sometimes think it would be that bit better with a slightly shorter loft, one of the other guys here has a size 10 and has mentioned he would like his slightly longer, so we are at talking about 53 and 56 mm lofts. The Plisson special being a size 20 should be 28mm knot with a 68mm loft (according to Plisson) so a completely different animal to mine I would imagine.

Either way it looks stunning and congratulations on both the brush and birthday.

James_uk said:
Very classy looking handle, what was the damage?

I am embarrassed to say, perhaps if I used a smaller font it won't seem so much?

523,23 euros

(yes you read correctly, you don't need glasses, I did pay that much! Or if you do need glasses, it was 532,23 euros)

ben74 said:
James_uk said:
Very classy looking handle, what was the damage?

I am embarrassed to say, perhaps if I used a smaller font it won't seem so much?

523,23 euros

(yes you read correctly, you don't need glasses, I did pay that much! Or if you do need glasses, it was 532,23 euros)

Holy crap! :shock: Konstantinos obviously hasn't seen one of these :eek: ;) :)

Audiolab said:
Not cheap, another 119 Euros on top of the size 20 HMW Horn. I seen them on the Plisson site and while I am a sucker for special editions on this occasion I could not justify it.

Ben, how do you find the Size 20? I have a 12 HMW and I sometimes think it would be that bit better with a slightly shorter loft, one of the other guys here has a size 10 and has mentioned he would like his slightly longer, so we are at talking about 53 and 56 mm lofts. The Plisson special being a size 20 should be 28mm knot with a 68mm loft (according to Plisson) so a completely different animal to mine I would imagine.

Either way it looks stunning and congratulations on both the brush and birthday.

Yes, hard to justify the extra expense, but it's not everyday I buy a Plisson or a HMW for that matter!

It's BIG, but I do enjoy a large, soft, luxurious feeling brush (I have a Kent BK12 that is among my favourites).

Just had the tape measure out and it appears 28mm x 68mm is accurate.

I must confess I haven't used it yet (debating whether or not to). I was waiting/hoping for responses from other members as to their experiences with the brush, but alas no owners have replied.

moodymick said:
Correct.
Had I seen it, I'd have sent my helicopter straight away to pick this up! :lol:

(It's sitting idle in the back yard and the Captain was telling me last night: "No purchases this week, boss?") :cool:

K it is still on the Plisson site so dispatch the butler now and he will procure you one of the last ones when he mentions your name.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rasageplisson.com/epages/161058.sf/en_US/?ViewObjectID=14592538" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rasageplisson.com/epages/161 ... D=14592538</a><!-- m -->

Ben, the lack of reply's reflects the lack of owners not the lack of interest, Plissons of this size are prohibitively expensive and those that can afford it still balk at that kind of coin. Myself and Fido have a Plisson (Fido has two I believe) and I was of a mindset that I would like a stiff (ish) brush; for me 68 mm would have been too big of a gamble without being able to see and touch it first. It does has a much bigger knot so perhaps the same stiffness is retained through the sizes but there are few good reviews of ones this size and it is a very personal thing so opinions will differ anyway.

I feel my size 12 with a loft of 56 is close to prefect for me, a wee bit more density or slightly shorter loft and it would be nirvana. However I tend to go towards smaller knots so this is what I wanted out of my one Plisson purchase. You say a BK12 is among your favourites so I would guess this size 20 would be within your preference range (in terms of size). There is unfortunately only one way to find out if it is going to do it for you and that is to use it. I haven't seen any other reviews but there are some discussions on the larger Plissons on some of the other shaving sites.

Would be interested to hear what you do with it.

N_Architect said:
moodymick said:
Correct.
Had I seen it, I'd have sent my helicopter straight away to pick this up! :lol:

(It's sitting idle in the back yard and the Captain was telling me last night: "No purchases this week, boss?") :cool:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ben74 said:
Audiolab said:
I must confess I haven't used it yet (debating whether or not to). I was waiting/hoping for responses from other members as to their experiences with the brush, but alas no owners have replied.

Buy a second one then you can use one and admire one from a distance ;)

Evvaa said:
ben74 said:
Audiolab said:

He needs three, one to use, one as a backup for the the first, and a third one just to look at and admire ;)

nope, he actually needs four, as he would need one to use as a Travel Brush. :D

Evvaa said:
ben74 said:
Audiolab said:

Or I can store it for you as an off-site backup :lol:

Gentleman, there are more expensive brushes out there! Think of the remarks you could make if I bought this one at roughly 1,170 pounds:

Water Badger Shaving Brush from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.englishshavingshop.com">http://www.englishshavingshop.com</a><!-- m -->

Described as:
"...the rarest shaving brushes in the world, if we are lucky we may get 50 pieces per year, sometimes none. At this moment in time we have some for sale but please email first to check availability.

Water Badger comes from an animal that spends its entire life in the water, it lives on fish and vegetation, it comes from freezing cold conditions -18 to -30 degrees and these Siberian Badgers are culled for their meat which is desirable in this area.

This is the flawless diamond of all badger hair, they are a golden brown in colour whereas the best silvertip badger contains an amount of hairs, these need 10 times more to make the same brush. Sadly these make the finest badger hair available worldwide today, feel like a brillo pad or sandpaper and this really is the silkest finest hair known for shaving.

Please note a brush with so many hairs in it will shed hairs periodicly, as for the work person hand making such an item it is almost impossible to place adesion (glue) on every single hair. The handle is made from buffalo horn and is lathe turned one by one, no two handles are the same. They are then engraved with the wording extremely rare water badger, genuine buffalo horn on the base of each brush and this is then filled, by hand with Italian gold leaf.

The price of this item is R12 999 which is an awful lot of money for a shaving brush, but this is the holy grail of shaving brushes and in the world it is offered only to a selective few. With careful cleaning this brush will last a whole lifetime,so its not expensive in the long run. Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-11 at 12.23.48 PM.png
    361 bytes · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom