It's not working :-(

I remembered I bought a fountain pen ages ago it's a Parker not victory but cost about £25 I think.
Must not have been used for over a year. Got it put and run water through it lots of black ink came out, did this until it became clear.
Put in a new cartridge and it won't write. I read a tip on the internet about puting a drop of water on the nib which I did and I got it to write, tried using it again tonight and it won't write again.
Anything I can do or should I get a new one and treat it properly ?

Hmmm could be something simple but of water still in it. As it's not an expensive pen try this take out cartridge and blow through it into some tissue and see if anything comes out. Stick a cartridge back in give it a few mins laid flat or nib down and try again

How long did you leave it between loading the cartridge and trying the pen? As above, if the pen's been cleaned and you've gotten the water out it will take a few minutes for the ink to work its way down the feed.

I washed the pen out, left its nib on toilet paper for 5 mins, put the cartridge in tried and nothing. Left it pointing down for 10 mins still nothing. This was yesterday afternoon.
Tried again last night nothing until I did the water on the nib. Got up this morning and it had stopped again pen was laid flat.
If I put my fingers on the back of the nib (feed?) they don't get inky?

Cheers Chris,
Put it in a cup of water this morning for a hour and then reinserted the cartridge, looks to be working fine now.
Best place to get a converter for it? Are all parkers the same?

Saw an interesting You Tube on checking the ink flow through a nib to see if it was blocked or if there were other problems.
Leaving the nib attached to the converter, filled with water, you press tissue paper to the back of the nib assembly and you should be able to see a steady flow of bubbles into the converter.
The other was blowing into the back of the converter, again filled with water to see if there were bubbles in the water. This was bad as the back of the converter should be air tight.

Quick question I now have a safari converter and two bottles of ink a converter for the Parker is on the way.

Is it better to keep each pen a different colour? So one ink in one and different ink in the other?

I know you can change inks and flush but do you loose lots of ink doing that ?

If you use the pen until it runs out of ink you won't waste much, and it's advisable to clean it every other time you refill it when you use the same ink anyway, so you'll lose a tiny amount of ink no matter what. Not cleaning the pen thanks to trying to prevent any wastage is going to lead to bigger problems down the road (similar to what you experienced with the Parker), so it's better to accept the loss of a tiny %age of ink.

Back
Top Bottom