Just Soaps

I went to a craft fair over the bank holiday weekend and picked up some of this stuff because it smelled nice

http://www.justsoapsoftheearth.co.uk/peppermint-shaving-soap-gift-set-without-brush_p34128.aspx

Anybody else tried it? I just can't seem to get a lather going with it at all. I always drizzle a little hot water on a soap to soften it a little before taking a brush to it. So far I've tried it with a Rooney 1/2 badger and an Omega 49 boar and with both these brushes the results are the same. I load the brush with soap until my right arm starts to ache and what it has picked up from the soap is thin and bubbly and that's even before I think about adding a little water to the mix; it doesn't feel slick or creamy in the brush and if I take even the tiniest amount of water to it, it just collapses. So far I haven't managed a lather I'd be happy shaving with; not enough slickness or cushion. What am I doing wrong or is the soap just crap? At least the marble bowl it came in is nice but £12 is a lot for a little marble bowl if the soap inside it is useless.

In my experience seeing olive oil at the top of the ingredients list is not a good sign.

You should relegate this to a shower body soap and move on to something better.

elverdiblanco said:
I went to a craft fair over the bank holiday weekend and picked up some of this stuff because it smelled nice

Anybody else tried it? I just can't seem to get a lather going with it at all. I always drizzle a little hot water on a soap to soften it a little before taking a brush to it. So far I've tried it with a Rooney 1/2 badger and an Omega 49 boar and with both these brushes the results are the same. I load the brush with soap until my right arm starts to ache and what it has picked up from the soap is thin and bubbly and that's even before I think about adding a little water to the mix; it doesn't feel slick or creamy in the brush and if I take even the tiniest amount of water to it, it just collapses. So far I haven't managed a lather I'd be happy shaving with; not enough slickness or cushion. What am I doing wrong or is the soap just crap? At least the marble bowl it came in is nice but £12 is a lot for a little marble bowl if the soap inside it is useless.

Dear Stephen Rooney

My right to respond.

We were, like you, very disappointed that you experienced problems with your shaving soap - purchased at Penshurst.

As I am sure you will agree, we were very quick to offer a full refund, which you have received, for your purchase, we strive to be as ethical and fair as possible.

We have sold many of these shaving soaps over the last 9 years and yours is the first complaint we have had regarding this, indeed we have many gentlemen who reorder time and time again.

Our soaps are made with the finest olive oil, without any chemical additives or preservatives which leave the skin moisturised and nourished.

Jane - Just Soaps

An update to this...

I contacted Just Soaps through their website to ask if they had any tips about how to get a lather from this soap. They replied promptly and basically the advice was more or less to do what I had been doing all along. I tried test lathering with this soap about 8 times, 4 times each with an Omega 49 and a Rooney 1/2 super badger. As most folks here will know, these are two top quality shaving brushes capable of lathering just about anything. Try as I might I just could not get a lather that I would be happy to try shaving with and I responded to Just Soaps saying as much. That being the case they very kindly offered a full refund and I received a cheque for the full amount today. I did offer to return the soap but they did not ask me to do so.
So, while I may not have had much luck with the soap itself, I can't fault the service from Just Soaps. They will be back in my neck of the woods again in September so if I'm at the fair then I'll go and say hello and probably buy some nice body soaps instead.

Back
Top Bottom