Kai Captain Titan Mild and Mongoose

Having got about 23 days worth out of a Feather Pro blade in my Mongoose, I thought I'd try a Kai Captain Titan Mild.

Obviously, the name is a bit of a giveaway, but I was astonished at how rough and blunt this blade feels on first use.

I'm hoping that this is one of those blades which improves after a few uses; or am I kidding myself?

Ferrum said:
Having got about 23 days worth out of a Feather Pro blade in my Mongoose, I thought I'd try a Kai Captain Titan Mild.

Obviously, the name is a bit of a giveaway, but I was astonished at how rough and blunt this blade feels on first use.

I'm hoping that this is one of those blades which improves after a few uses; or am I kidding myself?

In the Kai blade world I much prefer the Kai Captain. Seems to work extremely well for me in a Mongoose - much smoother than the Titan Mild and delivered a better shave for me. I prefer the Kai Captain to any other SE injector I've tried (which is most) and is my go - to blade for the 'Goose...

jds said:
Ferrum said:

In the Kai blade world I much prefer the Kai Captain. Seems to work extremely well for me in a Mongoose - much smoother than the Titan Mild and delivered a better shave for me. I prefer the Kai Captain to any other SE injector I've tried (which is most) and is my go - to blade for the 'Goose...
Is the Kai Captain you refer to the one called Protouch MG? Unless I'm misreading it, they all seem to be called Captain plus another name.

Connaught, who seem to be the only vendor of Kai in the UK, sell "Captain Protouch MG" and "Captain Titan Mild". Confusingly, the pack illustration on Connaught for the MG seems to read "Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG".

You can see the various types of KAI razor blades here:

http://www.kai-group.com/global/en/biz/beautycare_shaving_captaintitanmild.html

Links for each are included under the section entitled 'Shaving Razors'.

Ferrum said:
jds said:
Ferrum said:

Is the Kai Captain you refer to the one called Protouch MG? Unless I'm misreading it, they all seem to be called Captain plus another name.

Connaught, who seem to be the only vendor of Kai in the UK, sell "Captain Protouch MG" and "Captain Titan Mild". Confusingly, the pack illustration on Connaught for the MG seems to read "Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG".
Nope the ones to which I refer are naked and stripped down Kai Captain Razor Blades as advertised here. Beyond that is the Kai Captain Sharp Blade (very hard to get hold of for anything approaching a reasonable price), the Titan Mild and the Titan Mild ProTouch MG. I'm not really sure of the difference between the Titan Mild and the Titan Mild ProTouch MG, and I would love to try the Sharp, but the standard Kai Captain is my favoured SE injector blade.

That has probably added more confusion!

.... and Kai's corporate website is not much more help. It does look through as if the ProTouch has a guard type arrangement whereas the Mild is just coated....

I've only tried the one Kai Mild in the Mongoose and, while it was smooth over the first couple of shaves, I found that it deteriorated faster than the Feather Professionals tend to do. I would personally give the blade a few more outings and even then try a few more blades from the pack before abandoning them completely.

Thanks, all.

I think I get the picture; a good part of which is that it's quite hard to find these blades in the UK, and, if you do, they're pretty darned expensive.

I think I might spring for some standard Kai Captains, to see what they're like. However, I get the feeling that I'm going to prefer Feathers, for which I have samples of all types.

Ferrum said:
Thanks, all.

I think I get the picture; a good part of which is that it's quite hard to find these blades in the UK, and, if you do, they're pretty darned expensive.

I think I might spring for some standard Kai Captains, to see what they're like. However, I get the feeling that I'm going to prefer Feathers, for which I have samples of all types.

I think Gifts and Care are a good shout for the Kai Captain's. And you can fill your boots at the same time to make to postage worthwhile. TSR discount code too....

Try tryablade.com. You can buy individual blades. Both Kai and Feathers.
I ordered mine of eBay from Japan at £13.55 for 20 blades. They are also available from Germany for €15.55.
Proguard blades have a guard on the blade reducing the sharpness.

Jds the Kai super is available for £14.50 including postage from Japan. It takes about 2-3 weeks. No duty.

Arun said:
I ordered mine of eBay from Japan at £13.55 for 20 blades. They are also available from Germany for €15.55.

Jds the Kai super is available for £14.50 including postage from Japan. It takes about 2-3 weeks. No duty.

I'll "go East" for these.

PS The Titan Mild blade cuts a bit better this morning, so your recommendation was spot on, @Burgundy.

Meanwhile I've ordered some Sharp blades from Japan, which cost £14.65 (I hope that you enjoy your 48p profit on the $ exchange rate, Paypal) for 20, post paid. Not a bad price, even if there's a wait.

@jds - I've been studiously avoiding G&C, even though they have a ton of things that I REALLY NEED, and it's at least 6 months since I last ordered anything from them. That'll have to change now.

Ferrum said:
Arun said:

I'll "go East" for these.

PS The Titan Mild blade cuts a bit better this morning, so your recommendation was spot on, @Burgundy.

Meanwhile I've ordered some Sharp blades from Japan, which cost £14.65 (I hope that you enjoy your 48p profit on the $ exchange rate, Paypal) for 20, post paid. Not a bad price, even if there's a wait.

@jds - I've been studiously avoiding G&C, even though they have a ton of things that I REALLY NEED, and it's at least 6 months since I last ordered anything from them. That'll have to change now.

I know exactly where you are coming from. Several times I've been browsing and then had to empty my basket! They have some great stuff. I too pulled the trigger on the SharpBlades this morning. I did wonder about a box of 10 but this seemed a little excessive!

And here is some information from Kai Global after submitting a "Contact Us" email

"Thank you for your inquiry.
The difference is shape of blade edge.
Captain sharp blade has standard sharp blade edge.
Captain blade has convex blade edge.
If the customer prefers thorough finish, please recommend Captain sharp blade.
If the customer prefers softness to skin, please recommend Captain blade."

So - the Captain sharp blade could be an interesting experience

jds said:
And here is some information from Kai Global after submitting a "Contact Us" email

Eek!

jds said:

um, convex blade edge? does this mean convex as you look at it edge-on, in which case all blades are surely convex? or does it mean convex in the plane along the sharp edge in which case i don't understand why that should cause softness to skin.

I need educating!

Back
Top Bottom