Kindle Freebies

Steve27752 said:
It's my 52nd birthday on the 24th. And I am thinking of asking for a Kindle.
Who would recommend them?

I would! Brilliant invention. The only problem you would have is choosing amongst all the books ( I just go for the free ones) - you can even get newspapers formatted for the Kindle. I have had mine since Christmas and use it daily. Can't actually think of any drawbacks to them at all.

Seconded - got mine last September and it's fantastic. I was running out of bookshelf space (and places to put up any more bookcases), so the Kindle has been my saviour!

I love mine.

I expected to quite like it, and to use it a fair bit. I didn't expect to have used it every day but one (when I left it at work) since I bought it, and to have read only one paper book in the interim (while visiting somebody - and I'd've bought it on Kindle instead had it been available).

It's a tremendous thing. Not perfect, and maybe I'll be less in love with it in another two months (that's how long I've had it), but reading on it is a splendid experience.

go for it Steve, I haven't spoken to anyone who has one and doesn't think they are great.

Boab said:
go for it Steve, I haven't spoken to anyone who has one and doesn't think they are great.

+1

I'e had mine for just over a month, I've read more in that time than I have probably read in the last 5 years.

Yep, definitely recommend. Just as good as reading tree books. If you do get a Kindle also recommend downloading 'Calibre' software which acts as an eBook catalogue and converter. So, you can convert free epub format ebooks to Kindle mobi format easily.

Calibre is fantastic (and free), yes, and as well as doing ebook conversions and so on will also "scrape" newspapers and magazines from websites and has many recipes included for doing so - so you can get, say, Wired, or The Guardian, or whatever, on your kindle free any day you want it.

(Neither of those publications is available as a paid subscription, or I would. I, like most people, will cheerfully buy things when I can, but if I can't I'll get them some other way.)

Didn't know that was possible, will have to check that out ;) apparently the majority of newspaper subs look crap on the kindle.They just aren't formatting the content properly despite charging extortionate sub rates.Most offer a free trial of sorts.

The scraped version's pretty readable. I find it takes me much longer to read it, because with the paper version I tend to glance at a double page and decide not to read pretty much all of it, whereas I end up reading the first paragraph of almost every story on Kindle. Much easier to read in bed with a cuppa on Saturdays though!

Back
Top Bottom