Kindle Reader

Hey there,

They have introduced a "buy as a gift" feature on the American site recently but not yet in the UK as far as I know. I tend to get people to buy me the electronic gift vouchers from Amazon so that I can then buy whichever books I fancy.

Hope this helps,

Jonno

Skin Glider said:
I'm sticking with the real thing. Cannot match a real hard back novel .

I thought exactly the same thing...until I actually had a Kindle in my own hands. The quality of the screen means that you get drawn into the narrative of what you are reading just like a 'real' book. It honestly doesn't register with me that I am reading on an electronic device when I am using a Kindle. I have a lot of the same books in print and ebook format and I don't think I'm going to pick up the print copy again!

Yes. You can either put audio books on it or mp3s (music) or there is a feature where it will auto-read any of the text sources that you have on it. The voice is a bit Steven Hawking-esque but it works well on the whole.

slash said:
Can you get these to read for you,as in like audio books...many thanks..

Yes if the author has given permission, so some do and some don't. The problem for me is the voice they use it is an american very synthesised voice. But you can put audio books on it in the same way as you can add music, so you could use that method.
I am not sure yet if you can change the voice to english male/female as I don't tend to use this feature, I have just listend to a bit of On Her Majesty's Secret Service and I have to admit I prefer to just read the text.

Edit great minds think alike Jim......... :lol: :lol: He does sound like Stephen Hawkins.......

slash said:
Can you get these to read for you,as in like audio books...many thanks..
You may wish to buy Audio Books from here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.weread4you.com/">http://www.weread4you.com/</a><!-- m --> I buy them and transfer them to my MP3 player to listen to, they often have some good offers such as 3 for 1, £9 for £30 of books. top quality sound, much better than the audio on Kindle :)

I don't really get the whole idea of 'I love to feel the weight of a real book in my hands,' or 'I enjoy sniffing the pages.'

The Kindle is a very good medium for reading, and what I like about it is that it is not too gadgety. As one who travels around alot, it suits me down to the ground. It also makes it easier to have a couple of books on the go at the same time.

I thoroughly recommend.

Smell The Glove said:
I don't really get the whole idea of 'I love to feel the weight of a real book in my hands,' or 'I enjoy sniffing the pages.'

I've had a Kindle for nearly a week now - I'm still very firmly in the "prefer dead trees" camp, I prefer the tactile experience of a book, I like being able to simply loan it to a mate (or indeed loan one from a mate) - but the Kindle has it's place.

Do I see the Kindle replacing all my dead tree reading needs? Nope - Do I see it augmenting them - sure.

hunnymonster said:
I've had a Kindle for nearly a week now - I'm still very firmly in the "prefer dead trees" camp, I prefer the tactile experience of a book, I like being able to simply loan it to a mate (or indeed loan one from a mate) - but the Kindle has it's place.

Do I see the Kindle replacing all my dead tree reading needs? Nope - Do I see it augmenting them - sure.

'mon the trees!! :p

My personal reply to all that say they'll never buy a Kindle is: You try reading an entire book using only your left hand, as I've done many times on the Kindle, let's say War and Peace!

It's great to turn a page and still drink a fine wine or smoke a cigarette without being too bothered!

I got a bit bored of seeing Agatha Christie every few days, so have just jailbroken my Kindle to install custom screensavers. Really easy to do and reversible. If anyone fancies giving it a go, the instructions are at the following link.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/37424/jailbreak-your-kindle-for-dead-simple-screensaver-customization/

Loads of stuff on here including how to change "hidden" settings such as cancelling the automatic "sleep" mode, i.e you can turn off screensavers altogether and just have it remain on whatever page you left it at.

http://blog.diannegorman.net/2010/09/kindle-3-keyboard-shortcuts-et-al/

Ainslie

Back
Top Bottom