Kindle Reader

looks like there may be few freebies probably all available elsewhere but these get direct delivery. If you look at the bottom of the page there's some other that people have got as free downloads.

There's plenty. I ordered a Kindle last week, seeing as my wife doesn't let me play with hers (or her Kindle). Went a bit mad and loaded it up with about twenty different classics before it had even arrived. Probably won't read half of them, but who cares as they were free.

There are a few sites out there such as http://www.gutenberg.org that you can get freebies from, usually stuff that's out of copyright, but if you like the classics then it's a great site.

Amazon usually have a large number of books for less than 2 or 3 quid, and lots of free ones too.

I am a member of http://www.kuforum.co.uk which is a great resource for Kindle users and authors alike, contains advice and tips on the Kindle, good places to get books and there are a lot of reviews there too.

Don't forget that you can get free samples of most books from Amazon if you want to try before you buy.

this site http://www.ereaderiq.co.uk will track Amazon free books and email you when they publish a new one. It will also track price changes of books too :)

Hope this helps

Jonno

I have a Kindle account on my PC I have downloaded loads of freebies from Amazon, My wife has a Kindle and she loves it, her only gripe is , it needs a back light, my daughter likes hers ans makes full use of the Amazon Freebies.nither wanted to get the 3g, not much extras for the other £40+ price tag.

I think the backlight defeats the e-ink purpose.Backlit screens are harder to see in sunlight and cause eye strain.The little LED clip on lights work quite well.

moodymick said:
Boab said:
I think the backlight defeats the e-ink purpose.Backlit screens are harder to see in sunlight and cause eye strain.The little LED clip on lights work quite well.

Mrs M has the £50 one from amazon, the little built in light is just the job - pricey, but nice-y ;)

Whats the battery life in the light though?

I currently use an android tablet for ebook reading and the odd occassion where we are laying in bed and the wife asks something so I dive on the net. its great but keep thinking about the Kindle as the battery in the tablet is to be honest CRAP, if you dont shut the thing right down by the next morning it is dead even left on standby

moodymick said:
Boab said:

Mrs M has the £50 one from amazon, the little built in light is just the job - pricey, but nice-y ;)

They were all out of the standard cases when I bought the Kindle, so I treated myself to that one as well. It puts out a surprising amount of light.

Evvaa said:

The light in the amazon £50 cover draws power from the device so it will last as long as you have charge.
What lights are people using at the moment? I can't see myself paying £50 for a cover.
I was thinking about one of these:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENERATION-EXECUTIVE-LEATHER-LIGHTENED-PROTECTOR/dp/B004CZWQR4/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1300790423&sr=1-6">http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENERATION-EXEC ... 423&sr=1-6</a><!-- m -->

Boab said:
What lights are people using at the moment? I can't see myself paying £50 for a cover.

I'm had particular success with one of these:

300px-incandescent_light_bulb.png

I haven't yet invested in anything other than a standard cover, but I might splash out on one of these:

2850445091_eb121760f4.jpg

:D

missingskin said:
I am getting back into my book reading again, so i thought I would ask a few of you who have them a few questions before I take the plunge.
I have read the amazon page, but would prefer to get answers from the people who have used them....
1. How are they to view in sunlight (my phone screen is not good...)
They're just as good as paper, I've never seen anything like it, a phone/TFT is pretty much un-readable whilst a kindle is perfectly readable. I'd have said it was science fiction but it's science fact.
missingskin said:
2. Is it worth springing the extra for the 3g version as I have wi-fi at home.
Yes, I'd say so as you can get those "impulse buy" books! For example, if you're on a train and you want to get a copy of today's paper (at a little extra).
missingskin said:
3. Do I have to buy all my books from Amazon or can you get them from other places.
You're perfectly able to get books from any source, PDF for example is readable.

missingskin said:
4. What is the range of titles like and what is an average cost per book.
The title range is astonishingly good, although some shaving related books are not available. You can get a better idea by looking at the kindle store.

You're not limited to what Amazon has to offer, you're able to view other books on there, such as PDF books, however, on average I'd say the font is generally just a little too small, but this is mostly due to the problem of PDF's being formatted for A4/Letter/Textbook page print sizes whilst the kindle's screen is generally a little smaller. You can get around this by setting the screen orientation to landscape.

missingskin said:
5. How long will the battery last between charges
I've only had to charge mine twice since I un-boxed it at Christmas, they generally last an incredibly long time between charges, but I'll be honest, I've had the 3g and wi-fi turned off for most of the time.
missingskin said:
Sorry about all the questions but nothing is better than getting feedback from users rather than the people who want to sell you the thing.......
Steve

The best thing I can say about the kindle is that it's not an iPad, it's not a laptop and it's not a mobile phone.

It's the perfect distraction-free reading device. After a short time you'll notice how it makes reading a pleasure and how brilliant life can be without messages flooding you like you'd get from a phone or laptop.

Boab said:
Evvaa said:

The light in the amazon £50 cover draws power from the device so it will last as long as you have charge.
I was thinking about one of these:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENERATION-EXECUTIVE-LEATHER-LIGHTENED-PROTECTOR/dp/B004CZWQR4/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1300790423&sr=1-6">http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENERATION-EXEC ... 423&sr=1-6</a><!-- m -->

I got a case from e-pupz on ebay and separate light as I use the kindle more in daylight or if I am in bed I have the bedside light. If I do need extra light I just either stand the light on a flat surface or clip it to the Kindle. The 2 cost the same as the one from Amazon. I could not warrant spending the extra £25.00 for something I use once in a while. Also the separate light comes in handy as a spare torch....... ;)
But guess if you want it and have the cash then go for it........ :)
Should add the case is a very good fit and offers very good protection also it is not too bulky........

Back
Top Bottom